Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cannot read overburn

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Cannot read overburn

    I was trying to burn knoppix, but every program I tried said I had to overburn. I finally did try with diskatonce and Nero, but it turns out my other cd drive cannot read overburn, at least thats what I suspect.

    When I put in the cd and start up my computer, I get to the part where it says "boot:", there I type KNOPPIX and it says:

    Boot Failed: Please change disks and press any key to continue
    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    The official Knoppix iso:s do NOT require overburning, they fit nicely on a 700MB CD I'm not familiar with windoze burning software (anyone else want to help out ? ) but some people have mentioned that at least Nero has problems with big iso:s

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I have Nero, Windos_No_Thanks, and I did not rquire the use of OverBurn...

    What I suspect is, and I have found this, CD-RW discs max out at 650 meg, and CD-R discs go up to 700 meg - so you can't burn Knoppix to a CD-RW, you have to use a CD-R.

    Not knowing the file structure of the way Knoppix burns its files, from the ISO, I take it that the boot stuff is placed out on the outer side of the disc, or, more specifically, the last files placed on the CD, so, if you are burning the Knoppix CD, the files in the last 50 meg would be the system files. Thereby, they would be missing if you try and burn Knoppix on a CD-RW, instead of the CD-R.

    I prefer to use a CD-RW to burn discs, in the case of a problem, you can always erase it, and try again, but, in the case of Knoppix, you have to burn it, and hope you don't get a $2.00 coffee table coaster. Shame, but, then again, what they "pack" on that 700 meg, is AMAZING though.

    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    I have Nero, Windos_No_Thanks, and I did not rquire the use of OverBurn..
    Ok, I guess it didn't apply to all versions. (Perhaps someone should start a thread with a list of windoze burner software known to work)


    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    What I suspect is, and I have found this, CD-RW discs max out at 650 meg, and CD-R discs go up to 700 meg - so you can't burn Knoppix to a CD-RW, you have to use a CD-R.
    That used to be the case but now you can also get 700MB CD-RW:s

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Cool, I haven't been around a "real" computer store for a while, sorry, I seem to be strapped for cash lately, so, shopping lately is being done around Wal-Mart

    I think I might need to get some of those, though... Could come in handy

    Cuddles

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    See this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7512.
    Might be helpful to those having trouble burning knoppix from windows

    Good luck anyway!

Similar Threads

  1. CD-RW Read?
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
  2. read only
    By namelessservant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 02:56 AM
  3. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. Read only HD
    By Macrob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
  5. READ-ONLY
    By lello107 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99