Maybe the floppy is faulty, try a few different.
I purchased a Knoppix 3.3 2003-11-19 i486 CD and made a floppy boot disk a per instructions. When I insert both disks and restart the computer, I get a list of perhaps hundreds of IO Errors indicating "bytes missing"
The list ends with "Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel"
Do I have a defective disk? Can I solve this problem?
Maybe the floppy is faulty, try a few different.
Absolutely correct. Thanks!

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used
$220.00
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00