Knoppix 3.3 19 Nov on HDD.
When I close root's X11 session to login as a different user, the screen blanks and xdm never respawns ...
Any ideas ?
Thankyou. Bob
Knoppix 3.3 19 Nov on HDD.
When I close root's X11 session to login as a different user, the screen blanks and xdm never respawns ...
Any ideas ?
Thankyou. Bob
1 are you shure it's xdm and not kdm ?
2 do you happen to have an ATI radeon card ?
there is a bug or problem with kdm and radeon together,
it was discussed here some time ago, but I couldn't find it anymore.
I had such a problem and solved it by installing GDM and using it instead of KDM.
Dear Violinist (what a great instrument !),Originally Posted by violinist
You are correct. It's kdm and I have an ATI Radeon mobility card.
Will switch to GDM.
Thank you.
Bob
I have the same card in my laptop and have never had such an issue. You might want to try 'dpkg-reconfigure kdm' or something first. I've tried out GDM and didn't much care for it myself.You are correct. It's kdm and I have an ATI Radeon mobility card.
Will switch to GDM.
Thank you.
Bob

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11
$99.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99