Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Trying to boot Knoppix 3.3 from HD on a machine with Suse 9.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3

    Trying to boot Knoppix 3.3 from HD on a machine with Suse 9.

    I have copied all Knoppix files to a partition on the hard drive. This partition does not have anything else on it. I also copied the files from boot.img to the root dir of the partition.

    I added the following to /etc/lilo.conf and ran lilo:

    image = /mnt/cu/vmlinuz
    append="lang=en apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix"
    label = Knoppix
    initrd = /mnt/cu/miniroot.gz
    root = /dev/hda3
    vga = 0x31a


    When I ask LILO to boot "Knoppix" the little penguin shows up on the screen (so LILO did find the initial boot files). Then the booter tries to find the cdrom (there is no disk in the drive). It hangs for a while doing that, then some stuff flickers by to fast to read. After that I get the "Can't find Knoppix filesystem" error.

    I also used boot.img to create a boot floppy. The same thing happens when I use that to boot.
    I have successfully created modified Knoppix CDs so the files I put on the HD are OK.

    How can I get the system to boot from a HD partition?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    41
    If I read your post correctly, i'd say you copied all the files from a Knoppix cd to a ahdrdrive partition, and then used lilo to boot the kernel image. Well go to http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo to learn how to make it work, but then Knoppix will not function as a full GNU/Linux system, just as a live-cd with better performance (i.e. you can't install anything). If you want a real Knoppix install, it would be better to use one of the Installation scripts. They are knx-hdinstall and knoppix-installer. (i've never used knoppix-installer, so don't ask me anything on that, when I did my Knoppix hdinstall (deleted it, windoze needed more space) Knoppix didn't have the knoppix-installer script.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3
    You read that correctly. I do not want to install Knoppix to the HD, I want to speed up my experiments with custom configs, and save a few CD blanks.

    I have read that HowTo at length. It did provide some helpful information, but it is also chock full of notes that explain that the procedures described don't work ;-(

    My question is: How does the booter figure out where to get the KNOPPIX directory from? According to what I have read the booter is supposed to scan all HD partitions and use the one that has a KNOPPIX directory. This does not appear to work.

    Maybe somebody could point me to the machinery that is supposed to do this? I'm not too clear exactly where these parts live.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3
    I fugured out what the problem was. I had formatted the partition as reiserfs. The booter did not like this. I reformatted the partition as ext2. All is well now.

Similar Threads

  1. SuSe Pro 9.2 or Knoppix 3.7?
    By HewJass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 03:44 AM
  2. boot a machine from a knoppix hd install
    By bigrobot in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 02:32 PM
  3. w2k, freebsd, linux on 1 machine and no idea how to boot...
    By danielh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 07:09 AM
  4. SuSE 9.1 with grub: BOOT from CD fails.
    By musen in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM
  5. Suse Style framebuffer boot
    By eadz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



magicJack magicIN & magicOUT VoIP Adapter 1 Line USB/RJ-45 Black w/ Voicemail picture

magicJack magicIN & magicOUT VoIP Adapter 1 Line USB/RJ-45 Black w/ Voicemail

$45.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99