-
Senior Member
registered user
Shuttles
Yeah I'd like to wait on that one....
My current main box is a FN41G 1GB RAM and AMD 3200+ and its really nice.....
However i think my first AMD64 is likely to be full form factor.
I recently had a problem with an older shuttle i gave to my girlfriend.
It had a Duron1300 in and had been running fine
However when i gave it her I also had an Old AMD1400+ (1250 Mhz) which I thought would be fine and give her the extra cache and be a bit better for ripping mp3
What a nightmare.....
The 1400+ was one of the very first....
Everytinme she started to rip it powered off.
I tried EVERYTHING, different encoder ... etc. etc.
In the end I guessed it was a power issue. After spending a long time downloading the tech data from AMD and calculating the wattage needed the 1250Mhz used 20% more peak than the Duron....
I replaced it with a 2200+ which uses about 50% of the 1400+ !!!!
and its running perfectly.....
The moral is that early revisions of new chips tend to be power hungry!!
I would expect AMD64 to be a little hot at first!!!
And the shuttle is, well a shuttle.
The PSU is limited, although you can buy uprated ones theyre noisier so eventually you loose that nice pretty quiet thing that is why you bought it!!!
My advice is go for the full form factor until they get cheaper and better unless you REALLY need al that bang in a small box!!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed
$136.87

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$1029.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1000.00

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95