Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: AMD Athlon64 and Nforce3

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22

    AMD Athlon64 and Nforce3

    Hi,
    Just wanted to know if anyone out there has an AMD Athlon64 with an NForce3 chipset and if anyone had any problems running it in Linux. The reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte GA-K8N mobo with an Athlon64 3000 CPU. This board has the NForce3 chipset and the price is almost irresistable. I do like the Asus board which has the K8T800 chipset but it's around $50 more. I would just like to hear some feedback.
    Thanks
    Desire

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Just me too

    I'd also be interested......
    So someone keep it coming.....

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22
    Actually after a little research I found the Asus board has SATA and uses a Promise controller which I've come across in posts at a couple of sites that there are problems with Promise controllers in Linux, although the board does also have an ATA133 controller. Whereas the Gigabyte board surprisingly just has an ATA133 controller. Although I'm not a fan of Gigabyte boards I think I'll probably go with that. I'm itching to try out the Suse 9.0 for AMD64 (and Knoppix )

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    mobo

    Im actually thinking of a dual processor board.
    Ill start off with one and then go for a second later when the prices crash!!!

    That way you get to keep your investment in the first processor and more importantly the time spent configuring everything....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7

    SATA

    Quote Originally Posted by desire
    Actually after a little research I found the Asus board has SATA and uses a Promise controller which I've come across in posts at a couple of sites that there are problems with Promise controllers in Linux...
    Am I out of it, or did I read somewhere that SATA is problematic...? I'm looking for a SFF system, most likely either an SN41G2 or the SN85G4 - but am leaning towards the slower box in favor of supported hardware.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Shuttles

    Yeah I'd like to wait on that one....
    My current main box is a FN41G 1GB RAM and AMD 3200+ and its really nice.....

    However i think my first AMD64 is likely to be full form factor.

    I recently had a problem with an older shuttle i gave to my girlfriend.
    It had a Duron1300 in and had been running fine
    However when i gave it her I also had an Old AMD1400+ (1250 Mhz) which I thought would be fine and give her the extra cache and be a bit better for ripping mp3

    What a nightmare.....
    The 1400+ was one of the very first....
    Everytinme she started to rip it powered off.

    I tried EVERYTHING, different encoder ... etc. etc.
    In the end I guessed it was a power issue. After spending a long time downloading the tech data from AMD and calculating the wattage needed the 1250Mhz used 20% more peak than the Duron....

    I replaced it with a 2200+ which uses about 50% of the 1400+ !!!!
    and its running perfectly.....

    The moral is that early revisions of new chips tend to be power hungry!!
    I would expect AMD64 to be a little hot at first!!!

    And the shuttle is, well a shuttle.
    The PSU is limited, although you can buy uprated ones theyre noisier so eventually you loose that nice pretty quiet thing that is why you bought it!!!

    My advice is go for the full form factor until they get cheaper and better unless you REALLY need al that bang in a small box!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray picture

Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray

$14.95