-
Buslink USB HD Not found
I'm very new to Linux and Knoppix so please forgive any Newbie questions
I'm using a recent Knoppix Cd, downloaded and burned sometime in early January 2004 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, plugged into a Dell Port Replicator with 2 USB ports. I'm unable to find my external Buslink Model L40/40G HD under Knoppix using either USB port. I've tried looking with Fdisk -l, Applications-->Tools-->USbView and even gave a shot at Mount but it said the USB was already mounted. My USB Smart Card reader running off a Belkin USB 4 port hub works, I can plug it in and it works, take it out and it dissappears from USbView
I found a link to a user supplied Driver at http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=605
My questions are
1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix
2. If not, how do I install it into Knoppix running off the CD. It's probably wise to mention that I have to use the boot floppy because my BIOS won't recognize my LITE-On CD-RW
3. Is there any thing else I could try
Thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
Always try with what you know. => problemsolving by using exclusion of the problem.
Try the usb-harddisk on another pc ,does this work ?
Try the usb-harddisk without the port replicator,does this work ?
..
.
In most cases the good solution is the simpelest.
Don't look far away,but stay close to home.
Hope this'll get you on track...
-
It works fine on Win98, directly plugged. Never tired it thru the port USB replicator/expander on Win98. Tried all sorts of things on Linux, it's a missing driver that I can install once I put Linux onto a HD. That should be soon, I just ordered a Hitachi 40G drive for my laptop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Buslink USB HD Not found

Originally Posted by
arnb
1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix
run
in a terminal window
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Buslink USB HD Not found

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks

Originally Posted by
arnb
1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix
run
in a terminal window
Looks like the driver module is called "usbide" and doesn't seem to be in the current Knoppix distro.
-
Thank you for making that determination, it's what I suspected.
Is there any way to install the driver without installing Knoppix to a HD? I did not have any luck attempting to get the usbide driver onto the ram disk.
Similar Threads
-
By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
-
By GFBurke in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
-
By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By saxmanbob in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
-
By aay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00