Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Buslink USB HD Not found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NJ USA
    Posts
    3

    Buslink USB HD Not found

    I'm very new to Linux and Knoppix so please forgive any Newbie questions

    I'm using a recent Knoppix Cd, downloaded and burned sometime in early January 2004 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, plugged into a Dell Port Replicator with 2 USB ports. I'm unable to find my external Buslink Model L40/40G HD under Knoppix using either USB port. I've tried looking with Fdisk -l, Applications-->Tools-->USbView and even gave a shot at Mount but it said the USB was already mounted. My USB Smart Card reader running off a Belkin USB 4 port hub works, I can plug it in and it works, take it out and it dissappears from USbView

    I found a link to a user supplied Driver at http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=605

    My questions are
    1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix

    2. If not, how do I install it into Knoppix running off the CD. It's probably wise to mention that I have to use the boot floppy because my BIOS won't recognize my LITE-On CD-RW

    3. Is there any thing else I could try

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Always try with what you know. => problemsolving by using exclusion of the problem.
    Try the usb-harddisk on another pc ,does this work ?
    Try the usb-harddisk without the port replicator,does this work ?
    ..
    .

    In most cases the good solution is the simpelest.
    Don't look far away,but stay close to home.

    Hope this'll get you on track...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NJ USA
    Posts
    3
    It works fine on Win98, directly plugged. Never tired it thru the port USB replicator/expander on Win98. Tried all sorts of things on Linux, it's a missing driver that I can install once I put Linux onto a HD. That should be soon, I just ordered a Hitachi 40G drive for my laptop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: Buslink USB HD Not found

    Quote Originally Posted by arnb
    1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix
    run
    Code:
    lsmod
    in a terminal window

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: Buslink USB HD Not found

    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arnb
    1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix
    run
    Code:
    lsmod
    in a terminal window
    Looks like the driver module is called "usbide" and doesn't seem to be in the current Knoppix distro.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NJ USA
    Posts
    3
    Thank you for making that determination, it's what I suspected.

    Is there any way to install the driver without installing Knoppix to a HD? I did not have any luck attempting to get the usbide driver onto the ram disk.

Similar Threads

  1. IEEE 1394 found and then not found ...
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
  2. Orinoco Gold Classic - found once - now not found.
    By GFBurke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM
  3. /bin/sh! not found?
    By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 05:23 AM
  4. hda not being found
    By saxmanbob in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
  5. /dev/dvd not found
    By aay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



crucial memory ram and parts picture

crucial memory ram and parts

$400.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00