-
home and config boot params do not work on the same device
Ok, so I thought my issue with using the home and config boot parameters together was somehow related to my attempts to use a PCMCIA device. So, I've carved out a 100 meg slice of my harddrive and now I'm trying to use hda2 as a home and to store the config.
Contrary to messages that pop up when you create the home directory and save the configuration, using those parameters together on the same device simply doesn't work. Boot messages say that /home/knoppix is mounted, then later the configuration is restored -- I haven't poked around too much, but I'm guessing that the device is unmounted following that final step.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I, used to run with the CD, and I had the Swap, Configuration, and Home on the same device.
My boot cheatcodes were as follows:
boot: knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan
and it worked ok. Yes, during the boot up, messages saying something along the lines of... trying to locate home directory... found, already mounted... messages, and later on, with the configuration... trying to locate configuration... found.... and lastly, in my case, I had a persistant swap setup on the same drive, it would say... locating swap... found at....
Question is, are you getting your home and configurations on every boot up, correctly? If you make a change in your desktop, or add a icon, and you save your configuration, does it retain it after you reboot? Knoppix, when it boots, gives you a lot, in my opinion, way too much, information about what it is doing, and this can get a lot of people in trouble. Don't worry too much about the messages, unless of course, they aren't working, then the messages can be used to determine what, and where, it went wrong.
Knoppix can save all that it says, if you use them, it worked for my, until I finally decided to take the "plunge" and go "all-out" and install it as my main OS. Until then, you can use the CD and a "small" portion of a FAT drive, to gain what you loose from running a OS from a CD-ROM. The Configs and Home can be run from a single hard drive, with the CD, I have done it.
Hope this helps a little,
Cuddles
-
Nope... Didn't work... Config was loaded, but once the system was up, /mnt/hda2 was not mounted to /home/knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 03:51 AM
-
By crap in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-17-2004, 10:42 PM
-
By Kenro in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 07:21 PM
-
By humanizer in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 05:16 PM
-
By qa1433 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black
$44.00

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120
$999.00

Grandstream GXP1782 8 Line HD IP Phone VoIP - New Open Box
$59.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07