Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: NVidia accelerated drivers frustration

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    NVidia accelerated drivers frustration

    I've been having some real problems getting NVidia's accelerated drivers to work for my Asus GeForce FX 5700 card.

    I've tried several approaches, mainly using the NVidia installer (a couple different versions, right now 5328 is installed). Ive also tried the Kano script but it could never connect to the NVidia ftp site to actually download it's own copy of the installer.

    I've been over the NVidia driver readme several times and it seems like I've checked over just about everything. I made sure to use gcc-2.95 when installing the driver. All of the .so, .a and .o files are installed in the correct places and have the correct symlinks. I've edited the base XF86Config-4 script that Knoppix 3.3 installs to remove glcore and dri, and replaced vesa with nvidia (glx is already there). The char-195 (or whatever) aliases are in the right places.

    About the only thing I haven't played around with is the AGP settings, though the README for the latest drivers says that by default both AGPGART and NVidia's are attempted, with AGPGART tried first, so I figure this probably isn't the issue, though I'll try it out.

    When I try to boot my machine with the NVidia driver XF86Config-4 file (I have a copy of the file modified for each driver I've tried) the screen simply goes black as X is started, though the monitor seems to still be getting a signal. The keyboard seems to lock up after about a half-dozen keypresses as evidenced by whether I can toggle Num Lock (even pressing Num Lock enough times locks things up). Trying to Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F1 or any other terminal does nothing. The XFree log files are not very useful, they seem to stop at somewhat arbitrary points, likely varying with how much of the output buffer was flushed before things locked up. The parts of log files I have looked at never report errors regarding anything critical, just a few empty font paths.

    A few other oddities. I haven't tried as much but can't get the nv drivers to work either, although with these X only fails to start but does not lockup (I think). This made me think of possible bad hardware, but everything runs flawlessly in VESA mode that this seems unlikely. The other thing relates to thread-local storage support. When I was checking to make sure everything was in the right place I found that TLS is supported in my glibc and I had the TLS libraries installed, but in /usr/lib/tls.COPY instead of /usr/lib/tls. Because my system had no tls directory I just copied the directory over to the expected location, though this didn't appear to solve anything.

    I'm kinda at my wits ends here, having worked at this on and off for about 2 weeks. Any advice anyone can give, I'd be very grateful.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25
    Hi,
    Not sure about the latest driver but I know that Kano's 4496 script for hdd-install works as I used it for my FX 5600:
    http://www.kano.mipooh.net/install-n...4496-debian.sh
    Maybe the 5328 script URL is incorrect. Try sending an email to Kano:
    realKano AT directbox DOT com
    Cheers.

    Rick

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thanks, I'll give the 4496 script a try after giving the 5328 another chance, as well as the 4620 script.

    Hope this works, I'll be posting results in the next few hours.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Success!

    The 5328 script does appear to be broken, but Kano's 4620 script worked like a charm. For all the things I've tried, it's hard to believe I only tried the one Kano script that was broken.

    Thanks for the advice towjamb, and I'll send that e-mail off to Kano to hopefully get the script bug fixed.

Similar Threads

  1. Nvidia Drivers
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
  2. Help with 2.6.6 and Nvidia Drivers
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
  3. Nvidia drivers i tried all.......
    By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
  4. NVIDIA drivers....
    By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. nvidia drivers
    By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99