Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: apt-get update

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30

    apt-get update

    I have done a HD install of KNOPPIX. Just wondering if it is normal for some failures when I run apt-get update?

    Things like
    Err http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages
    404 Not Found
    Err http://people.debian.org sid/source/ Sources
    404 Not Found
    Err http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages
    404 Not Found
    Err http://non-us.debian.org ./ Sources
    404 Not Found
    Ign ftp://ftp.gwdg.de unstable/non-free Release
    Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla/./Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~branden/pa...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~branden/pa...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

    Reason I ask is that I have a citrix ICA client installed that does not work.
    when I run ldd /usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica
    libXaw.so.6 => not found
    libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x418b0000)

    Just wondering if somehow the update is not working or what I can do to get this file. Tried finding it but it seems all the links go to Redhat and they are all unavailable.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Those entries in the source.list are outdated you should comment out ( put a # character in front of the line ) the lines in the file and run apt-get update again. Normally to find which package you need to install on a Debian system you would search at http://packages.debian.org . Although that package looks like it is for woody you probably should not try to install it.

    libxaw.so.6

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Those entries in the source.list are outdated you should comment out ( put a # character in front of the line ) the lines in the file and run apt-get update again.
    Whis lines (could you list them) should be commented? I have a simillar problem after entering apt-get update.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    The lines with the 404 Not found message in the above listing....If you're serious about installing to hard drive try Mepis, it's based on Knoppix but the dependencies are cleaned up and the source files are up to date plus the developer has added some packages and applications that will make it much more user friendly for a newbie.....have fun.....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30
    I would like to but what I am trying to get to is having a cd version of some linux (knoppix) with the citrix client installed. I am wanting to get it working on HD install first.

    Any chance someone wants to take a stab at getting it installed on knoppix and help me out with this???

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    In order to install an rpm package in Debian you will need to use an application called alien, it might already be installed in Knoppix...also you will probably have to go into a root console and use command line for installation. I'm not really familiar on how it works but from what I read iit works in conjunction with the dpkg commands.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30
    Tried that to. It installed but the icons are no where to be found and when I run the script file I think is the correct one I get the same problem. Pops Up then files. Do you think it might have anything to do with firewall settings? Is there a way to disable it and try?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    Do you belong to a user group that's located in your area? If there is one, you will probably find a member who is an IT who will be willing to share their experiences with you....Good luck !!!

Similar Threads

  1. Can I update to 3.6?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:36 PM
  2. after apt-get update...
    By xaviers2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:29 AM
  3. 3.3 update
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
  4. Can not do an apt-get update...
    By Jacques in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Update`ing KDE
    By Joutei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95