Okay, figured it out, and thought I would post the fix for future folk fishing for facts...
Problem was the mencoder-686 package with my VIA-800 processor. I located the "older" mencoder package (0.91-3.3.1) and all is well.
I am using Knoppix 3.3 11-19 (hard drive install) and trying to record tv shows using my Pinnacle PCTV card. I had a script that used to work for me on Knoppix 3.2 (07-07-03):
mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:width=352:height=288
-oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -vop pp=lb
-endpos 30 -o test.avi
but I now get "illegal instruction" when I try to use that. I
understand that there is now a requirement to add tv:// to the end
such as:
mencoder -tv driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:width=352:height=288
-oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -vop pp=lb
-endpos 30 -o test.avi tv://
but I still get the same error.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else doing this same thing with a Hauppauge (or other brooktree) card?
Paul
Okay, figured it out, and thought I would post the fix for future folk fishing for facts...
Problem was the mencoder-686 package with my VIA-800 processor. I located the "older" mencoder package (0.91-3.3.1) and all is well.

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00
2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99
Electric Air Duster & Vacuum 2-In-1, 130000RPM Cordless Rechargeable Compressed
$67.11
Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard
$17.99
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99