-
Boot using Loadlin
For some reason, I need to create a DOS BOOTABLE rescue disk and wish to put a customized Knoppix on it.
In the CDROM, I have a directory /KNOPPIX with vmlinuz, miniroot.gz, and KNOPPIX; however, I can't start KNOPPIX using Loadlin on /KNOPPIX with the command like this:
loadlin vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
So interesting, if I happen to have a /KNOPPIX with the KNOPPIX file on the C:, KNOPPIX will start.
The problem I have is that I can't assume I will have enough disk space for the file to be resident. I want the image to be on a DOS Bootable CDROM.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
{ B )
NNNN
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Boot using Loadlin

Originally Posted by
yuu_shi
For some reason, I need to create a DOS BOOTABLE rescue disk and wish to put a customized Knoppix on it.
In the CDROM, I have a directory /KNOPPIX with vmlinuz, miniroot.gz, and KNOPPIX; however, I can't start KNOPPIX using Loadlin on /KNOPPIX with the command like this:
loadlin vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
So interesting, if I happen to have a /KNOPPIX with the KNOPPIX file on the C:, KNOPPIX will start.
The problem I have is that I can't assume I will have enough disk space for the file to be resident. I want the image to be on a DOS Bootable CDROM.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
{ B )
NNNN
Well, you may have a problem here. The problem is you cannot cram both linux(vmlinuz, initrd etc.) and DOS file into one 1.44MB image(which I believe is what you mean DOS bootable).
But you don't have to. All you need is just a DOS bootable CD that can see the CD-ROM(after bootup) and the associated files(vmlinuz, initrd etc.). Then you just tell loadlin the usual parameters like KNOPPIX use. The only thing that matter is the big 700MB file must be \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX be it on CD or whatever drive.
One thing I don't understand though is, what else you can put on the CD with KNOPPIX taken up all the space ? May be you mean you have a shrink downed KNOPPIX.
Similar Threads
-
By y23 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
-
By Sinista in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
-
By bigkahuna in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
-
By Taldor in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM
-
By subarus in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot Of 10 16GB DDR4 Server Memory
$650.00

LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC
$500.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING
$69.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50