Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems starting X on remastered Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2

    Problems starting X on remastered Knoppix

    I have build a remastered knoppix-cd by copying the original files to the harddrive and then running chroot, Xnest and startkde as described at http://www.stirnimann.com/mystuff/doc/knoppix.txt (chapter 3c). But testing the CD I get the following error message:

    • X-window session terminated with errors.
      please check and retry '/etc/init.d/xsession start'


    I thought that startkde in my nested (chroot'ed) environment had changed some configurations, so deleted all X and KDE configuration files and copyed the original ones to the remastered knoppix. But that did not help and I keep getting the same error. There seems to be a problem with the following line of code in /etc/init.d/xsession:

    Code:
    su -c "DISPLAY=:0 exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" - $USER >/dev/null 2>&1
    When I delete ">/dev/null" here and retry "/etc/init.d/xsession start", I get the following error message:

    • su: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
      (ignored)
      setgid: opperation not permitted


    (where the last line is translated from German so it might differ from the exact english wording)

    Can anyone help me and give me a hint how to fix this error? I've been working on this for hours without success.

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Have you copied /etc/skel into /home/knoppix already? And chmodded and choiwned the files in /home/knoppix?

    Have you made a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file that contains the text-

    startkde

    ?

    try these things and then su knoppix and start x in your chroot/xnnest environment-

    PS-0 It's usually easier to boot with the cheatocde knoppix 2 and create knoppix's home from /etc/skel and startx without needing to xnest.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    Thank you very much for your help, but I still have problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    Have you copied /etc/skel into /home/knoppix already? And chmodded and choiwned the files in /home/knoppix?

    Have you made a /home/knoppix/.xinitrc file [...]
    I've tried all this now and built a new Knoppix-CD, but this did not help.

    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    try these things and then su knoppix and start x in your chroot/xnnest environment-
    The problem is that I can't su. I tried "su" and got the message:
    Code:
    sudo: can't stat /etc/sudoers No such such file or directory
    sendmail: [761] setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
    And after creating the file /etc/sudoers (chmod 0440) with the contents below I get the same error as quoted in my first posting.
    Code:
    root     ALL = (ALL) ALL
    knoppix  ALL = (ALL) ALL
    An interesting thing is that though I am able to su in my normal environment (Debian woody), I can't su after chrooting to the Knoppix-source:
    Code:
    sudo: unable to lookup <my machine's name> via gethostbyname()
    sendmail: [641] setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
    sudo: can't stat /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
    sendmail: [642] setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    PS-0 It's usually easier to boot with the cheatocde knoppix 2 and create knoppix's home from /etc/skel and startx without needing to xnest.
    I've tried this but this did not work either. The KDE-startup-screen appeared but after some steps (varying) the system hanged and I had to kill the session with ctrl+alt+backspace.

Similar Threads

  1. problems starting Client with Terminal server
    By wurm in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
  2. Help, problems starting KDE: No Write Access /home/......
    By Garibaldi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
  3. Having problems starting Knoppix...
    By grayfox777 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 06:54 AM
  4. Problems with running remastered Knoppix :(
    By piom in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 10:32 PM
  5. Problems starting knoppix
    By garrettvm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$480.63



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1 Intel i7-10610U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Excellent picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1 Intel i7-10610U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Excellent

$319.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$547.36



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$382.48



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99