-
Could you guys advise me regarding mobo & cpu choice?
Here's the deal. I want to upgrade my system, but don't want to spend a great deal of money. I can get either a P4 2.2GHz or a AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with motherboard for about the same price. I feel like I'd get a better mobo if I go with the AMD.
But in terms of speed, are these two roughly equal, or does either have an advantage over the other? I'd mostly use it for office apps and web-browsing. However, I do use SPSS under that other OS on occasion. I also do some audio recording, which also entails a fair amount of audio processing, encoding and such.
I read somewhere in rickenbachers mobo thread that you should avoid the nVidia chipset with Linux unless you're skilled enough to mess with stuff. I'm still rather new to Linux, so I'm thinking of going with a Via. I'm actually looking at these two: P4 Combo versus AMD Combo. Which one would you recommend more? There's also an AMD combo with a mobo based on the nVidia chip for about the same price. Just as an aside, I don't have the time right now to devote to learning how to safely overclock my system so I don't intend to do so anytime soon. So please base any opinions on the stock settings...although I wouldn't mind hearing which would be the easiest to work with should I choose to overclock later.
I'm sorry this is such a long post, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys would recommend. I've searched all over Google, but most people reviewing the processors and boards seem to be using Windows. I'd like a more Linux-centered perspective since I use Linux most of the time now. Thanks guys.
Similar Threads
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
-
By likebrokenrecords in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:24 AM
-
By farvardin in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM
$9599.00

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

LOT of 5 DDR4 8GB & 1 16GB So-DIMM RAM Sticks Micron and SK Hynix Various Speeds
$175.00

Kingston 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2667 SO-DIMM 260-Pin RAM KCP432SD8/16
$100.00

64GB (2x32GB) Kingston DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 2Rx8 XVTW4H-MIE-NX Desktop RAM
$395.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 288-Pin DIMM RAM CMT16GX4M2Z3200C16
$180.00

Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory
$669.00