-
Senior Member
registered user
AMD all the way! And actually I prefer the nforce-it was quite easy to set up. Also it looks like the combo you selected compares quite well in price with what I've seen.
One thing you may want to take note of is that there is no line-level out on these boards.
Dunno about you but for me that was a real letdown as I connect my pc to an f.m. transmiter. I don't have anything to connect to the S/PDIF.
There is now the gpl'd forcedeth driver for onboard nforce network. Kano made installing the graphics driver very nice and easy too. I have never had a VIA chipset so I can't honestly say one way or the other. Some friends swear by them.
The second pair of USB ports doesn't work. Maybe an IRQ conflict. I haven't really put any effort into resolving it as I have only 1 USB device.
I haven't done anything in the way of oc'ing yet but here's where I'm at:
Temp.= 27.0, 28.0, 0.0; Rot.= 4440, 0, 0
Vcore = 1.70, 1.70; Volt. = 3.39, 4.95, 11.55, -16.19, -6.12
That's using the Gnome desktop, running a web & mail servers, XMMS, 3 browsers, irc, the GIMP, and 6 or 8 Konsoles. The CPU is twidling it's transistors waiting for something to do. Of course a G of RAM doesn't hurt either! On that note...not sure how familiar you are w/ pc's but make sure you know what you're getting before you buy any RAM.
I have 2 fans in the power supply, 1 case fan and a coolermaster hsf combo on the cpu itself. Nothing fancy or expensive there at all. OG has some good advice in the post you mentioned about oc'ing. I think the silver paint is a good idea- and would recommend just doing it from the start and having it done. Don't skimp on the power supply. That's often a common cause of premature death for many things electronic.
All in all I am thrilled w/ this box and the only thing that didn't work immediately was the onboard video but as I mentioned installing those drivers is a snap. It was a totally painless experience. It also runs windows in vmware rather well. gluck
Similar Threads
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
-
By likebrokenrecords in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:24 AM
-
By farvardin in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99