Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: hotplug usb problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    hotplug usb problem

    Hello!

    I have a Problem with my usb-port. If I boot knoppix with usb I have no sound (Soundblaster Live). If I use the option nousb while booting knoppix I hear the sound, but I will not be able to see any of my usb devices. I tried to start hotplug manually with "/etx/init.d/hotplug start" after the booting-process but that does not help. Has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: hotplug usb problem

    Quote Originally Posted by docsneider
    I have a Problem with my USB-port. If I boot Knoppix with USB I have no sound (SB Live). If I use the option nousb while booting Knoppix I hear the sound, but I will not be able to see any of my USB devices. I tried to start hotplug manually with /etx/init.d/hotplug start after the boot-process but that does not help. Has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?
    What USB peripherals are you running? I had a similar problem once with a USB mouse -- I suspect it was timing -- that kept SuSE 8.0 from installing and, later, caused wierd problems when I tried it under Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    At the moment ther is only a 4-port usb hub and a Webcam running. But I also have an usb printer and a canon ixus digital camera.

    It would be realy nice if anyone have a clue to this problem because I only have an usb printer. And without the printer it is not very useful to play around with knoppix for me.

    The rest of knoppix is very intresting and I think about it to make the main of my working with linux.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    I did not solved the problem above, but I find out the reason of it:
    If my Webcam is plugged in there is obviously some conflict with the soundcard. The Webcam is a Phillips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro. My soundcard is a Sounblaster Live. If I plug in the Webcam after Booting everything works fine. So the problem is no longer so important.

    But if anyone knows to solve please tell it to me!


    PS: My printer over usb is working fine with knoppix ... so far so good

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I won't claim to know alot about USB but you might check out
    www.usb-org. When you boot with a USB device connected it is called 'coldplugging' as opposed to hotplugging. There are some issues surrounding this. You might try passing the 'noapic' option at boot.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by docsneider
    I did not solved the problem above, but I find out the reason of it:
    If my Webcam is plugged in there is obviously some conflict with the soundcard. The Webcam is a Phillips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro. My soundcard is a Sounblaster Live. If I plug in the Webcam after Booting everything works fine. So the problem is no longer so important.
    But if anyone knows to solve please tell it to me!
    PS: My printer over usb is working fine with knoppix ... so far so good
    I think that there is a problem with detecting two or more audio devices. The webcam has audio properties (a microphone), so i suppose Knoppix thinks that it's a (unsupported) soundcard and stops searching. Please tell me if someone knows a solution, or tell the developers to think about it.

    I have also tried to boot in expert mode, but there is another problem, at least in Knoppix 3.3 - soundconfig ends with segmentation fault almost every time. I think that it's a known problem because I noticed several people metioning it in the forums.

    Bye,
    G.

Similar Threads

  1. Hotplug after HDD install
    By CallACD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 08:59 AM
  2. Hotplug subsystem & modules.dep
    By kelmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:02 AM
  3. questions hotplug
    By jxn in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
  4. Problems with hotplug
    By Massive in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 02:29 PM
  5. HotPlug / My fstab problem??
    By Coume in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400/800 Computer CPU PCB Module Board with NTSC GTIA - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400/800 Computer CPU PCB Module Board with NTSC GTIA - Works Perfectly

$42.95



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly

$23.95



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29