What USB peripherals are you running? I had a similar problem once with a USB mouse -- I suspect it was timing -- that kept SuSE 8.0 from installing and, later, caused wierd problems when I tried it under Knoppix.Originally Posted by docsneider
Hello!
I have a Problem with my usb-port. If I boot knoppix with usb I have no sound (Soundblaster Live). If I use the option nousb while booting knoppix I hear the sound, but I will not be able to see any of my usb devices. I tried to start hotplug manually with "/etx/init.d/hotplug start" after the booting-process but that does not help. Has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?
What USB peripherals are you running? I had a similar problem once with a USB mouse -- I suspect it was timing -- that kept SuSE 8.0 from installing and, later, caused wierd problems when I tried it under Knoppix.Originally Posted by docsneider
At the moment ther is only a 4-port usb hub and a Webcam running. But I also have an usb printer and a canon ixus digital camera.
It would be realy nice if anyone have a clue to this problem because I only have an usb printer. And without the printer it is not very useful to play around with knoppix for me.
The rest of knoppix is very intresting and I think about it to make the main of my working with linux.
I did not solved the problem above, but I find out the reason of it:
If my Webcam is plugged in there is obviously some conflict with the soundcard. The Webcam is a Phillips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro. My soundcard is a Sounblaster Live. If I plug in the Webcam after Booting everything works fine. So the problem is no longer so important.
But if anyone knows to solve please tell it to me!
PS: My printer over usb is working fine with knoppix ... so far so good![]()
I won't claim to know alot about USB but you might check out
www.usb-org. When you boot with a USB device connected it is called 'coldplugging' as opposed to hotplugging. There are some issues surrounding this. You might try passing the 'noapic' option at boot.
I think that there is a problem with detecting two or more audio devices. The webcam has audio properties (a microphone), so i suppose Knoppix thinks that it's a (unsupported) soundcard and stops searching. Please tell me if someone knows a solution, or tell the developers to think about it.Originally Posted by docsneider
I have also tried to boot in expert mode, but there is another problem, at least in Knoppix 3.3 - soundconfig ends with segmentation fault almost every time. I think that it's a known problem because I noticed several people metioning it in the forums.
Bye,
G.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 400/800 Computer CPU PCB Module Board with NTSC GTIA - Works Perfectly
$42.95
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 800 Computer CX801 10K ROM Personality Module CX801 - Works Perfectly
$23.95
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29