Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)

    Help, I have been trying to get a DOS partition on my hda device working, and since I couldn't figure out (myself) how to get the fstab entry right, I booted to the CD, with a noswap boot option.

    Since the CD Boot could see, and even mount, my hda2 (dos partition), I wanted to look at the fstab file done by the CD.

    Being brave, I figured I could add the entry into "my" fstab file, which is on hda1...

    So, I mounted hda1, and went into /etc/fstab - and tryied to add the hda2 entry, upon trying to save the updated file on hda1, it yelled I didn't have priviledges. So, I bailed out, and figured I could memorize the line entry, until I could reboot back into the hda1 HD install.

    Upon (trying to) reboot into hda1 (knoppix hd installed), I get the following, until it locks up....

    /etc/init.d/rcS: line ##: /[folder]/[something]: [description]: Permission Denied

    Line numbers go from 1 up to 91, until it locks up. All these messages are coming from the boot, right after the LILO, and after the penguin logo hits the screen.

    What did I do, and how do I fix it???? PLEASE

    As a consolation, hda1 was formatted with ext3 file system, if that helps? Sheesh, all I did was boot to the CD, and "touch", or "mount" my knoppix hard drive install - please, someone tell me what I can do to resolve this, my system is deader than a doornail at the moment - and I'm seriously going through "Linux Withdrawl"

    Thanks to anyone, and everyone who can get me back alive...
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ok, from what is left on the screen, after it locks up... Here is what is in the black screen...

    Line #36
    /dev/console ... Permission Denied
    /bin/rm ...
    Mount local file systems...
    Line #12
    /bin/mount ...
    /bin/grep ...
    /dev/null ...
    /bin/sh ...
    /bin/hostname ...
    Line #72
    /sbin/hwclock ...
    /bin/date ...
    /bin/cp ...
    /usr/bin/find ...
    /bin/chmod ...
    /bin/dmesg ...
    Line #62 (last on screen, and freezes)
    /bin/run-parts ...

    Note that the "..." is the Permission Denied

    Trying to catch the stuff that is before all of this, I can only make out that it found my processor and memory, ok, but everything else comes up with this "Permission Denied"

    I am desperate here, my system is down, and so is my email, and I can't play Frozen-Bubble (j/k the game is fun, but my system is more important than just a game.)

    Thanks for any help, and possible resolution,
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Disregard....

    (Noob, seriously, Noob, here)

    In the attempt toi get my hda2 (dos partition) mounted through fstab, I inadvertantly, got hda1 and hda2 mounting to the same location - "/"

    Since hda1 was a ext3, and hda2 was a vfat - the two coulldn't mount the same location, and ( I guess ) during bootup, Linux/Knoppix got seriously confused, and spewd out error messages, and refused to boot. Actually a VERY GOOD thing, in fact, if "someone" would have made any changes on the hda2 partiton, pointing to hda1, I think I would have been doing a re-install

    I don't think the CD had anything to do with it, I think the CD just got caught in the cross-fire of my changing fstab - I booted into the CD, noswap single cheatcodes, made hda1 writtable, su'ed to root, and commented out the mount command in fstab for hda2 - booted back into Linux/Knoppix HD installed hda1 - PERFECTLY.

    I guess you can say one good/bad thing about Linux -=- a little information about the OS, CAN get you into a LOT of trouble -=- On the "excellent" side, at least the CD doesn't give you THAT MUCH "muscle" to mess up things too much

    Case closed, mission accomplished, fire out, flames dead, topic/thread resolved... Frozen-Bubble -> running as normal [giggle]
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!
    By xaviers2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:23 PM
  2. /etc/fstab permission denied
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
  3. Permission denied to root
    By relinguin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
  4. Permission denied on knx-hdinstall
    By djoey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. permission denied
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



5 Grandstream DP720 DECT Cordless HD VoIP Telephone Handset + DP750 Base Bundle picture

5 Grandstream DP720 DECT Cordless HD VoIP Telephone Handset + DP750 Base Bundle

$249.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Yealink CP965 12-lines Conference Phone - Black Grey, Open Box picture

Yealink CP965 12-lines Conference Phone - Black Grey, Open Box

$245.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99