Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Intel HaM Modem - installed drivers, now I'm stuck

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Intel HaM Modem - installed drivers, now I'm stuck

    I've been trying to get my winmodem to work. I downloaded correct the drivers and compiled them on Knoppix. I managed to load the driver from my home directory without actually installing it.

    However, I can't get KPPP to recognise that the modem is there. If I do 'query modem', it just says it's unable to talk to the modem (I can't remember the exact error message). I've got KPPP looking at /dev/modem.

    Although KPPP doesn't work, if I type 'cat /dev/modem', I hear it go *click*, so I know it's actually there.

    I think I'm almost there, and must be missing something obvious. Does anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    Ok, I've actually solved this myself - I'm writing this in Knoppix

    I found that KPPP worked if I ran it as root. However it would disconnect as soon as it had dialled in.

    I then found that /dev/ham could only be written to by root. So I did chmod a+w /dev/ham , ran KPPP normally and... bingo! It worked!

    I might put some instructions together if anyone else is having trouble with their Intel-chipset modem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    51:45:20N, 0:40:44W
    Posts
    19
    Hi,

    Will the same method work with a Connexant HCF?

    Regards,

    Mick

Similar Threads

  1. intel 537 modem
    By jock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
  2. i installed knoppix on one of my drivers but now...
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 07:37 PM
  3. Booting problems (cd drivers not installed at start)
    By Megagun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 01:09 PM
  4. Intel 536ep Modem
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 02:19 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00