Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CD Copy to HD 'install' Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25

    CD Copy to HD 'install' Questions

    Okay,
    I've copied to hd.
    Btw bootdisk will find folder no matter what drive its on.
    Questions:
    Why can I NOT make a swap file in this mode?
    Why can't I copy files/write to the c or d drives when booting off saved config (even when mounted in write mode) but I can when I boot off cd in cdrom?
    Why does knoppix remember mounted drives(green check)but they do not actually remount until i unmount and remount again?
    Please answer in layman terms.
    I do not even know how to use panels to input code. There seem to be tons of panels to open.

    TIA
    ~S~

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    When it inds a "KNOPPIX" folder with a "KNOPPIX" file inside on a partition, it uses that as the cdrom. However, cdroms are read-only, and it mounts it read-only.
    I'm not sure why this is, but it's a known issue.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25
    Well,
    That is informative.
    A question: Why then is my actual cdrom still workable. Did you mean to say that as far as you know, the actual cdrom is not usually detected?
    This is not my experience.
    Anyone else know a workaround?
    ~S~

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I guess I wasn't very clear, but when I say "use as cdrom" I mean that whatever partition has the "/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX" file/folder is treated as the cdrom - and it's mounted read only.

    e.g. my setup :
    /dev/hda2 on /cdrom type vfat (ro)

    see, it's a hard drive partiton buy its mounted read only.
    mount -o rw,remount /cdrom/

    seems to fix the problem :
    /dev/hda2 on /cdrom type vfat (rw)

    The only issue is that knoppix_persistant_home doesn't work when installed on the same partition as the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

Similar Threads

  1. HD install giving up during file copy
    By nosirrah in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Utility to move/copy a HD install
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:44 PM
  4. howto add users after hd install by copy from cdrom
    By gill1109 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
  5. How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???
    By gadave in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD picture

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD

$379.00



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base

$170.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ picture

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ

$799.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00