Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CD Copy to HD 'install' Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25

    CD Copy to HD 'install' Questions

    Okay,
    I've copied to hd.
    Btw bootdisk will find folder no matter what drive its on.
    Questions:
    Why can I NOT make a swap file in this mode?
    Why can't I copy files/write to the c or d drives when booting off saved config (even when mounted in write mode) but I can when I boot off cd in cdrom?
    Why does knoppix remember mounted drives(green check)but they do not actually remount until i unmount and remount again?
    Please answer in layman terms.
    I do not even know how to use panels to input code. There seem to be tons of panels to open.

    TIA
    ~S~

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    When it inds a "KNOPPIX" folder with a "KNOPPIX" file inside on a partition, it uses that as the cdrom. However, cdroms are read-only, and it mounts it read-only.
    I'm not sure why this is, but it's a known issue.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25
    Well,
    That is informative.
    A question: Why then is my actual cdrom still workable. Did you mean to say that as far as you know, the actual cdrom is not usually detected?
    This is not my experience.
    Anyone else know a workaround?
    ~S~

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I guess I wasn't very clear, but when I say "use as cdrom" I mean that whatever partition has the "/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX" file/folder is treated as the cdrom - and it's mounted read only.

    e.g. my setup :
    /dev/hda2 on /cdrom type vfat (ro)

    see, it's a hard drive partiton buy its mounted read only.
    mount -o rw,remount /cdrom/

    seems to fix the problem :
    /dev/hda2 on /cdrom type vfat (rw)

    The only issue is that knoppix_persistant_home doesn't work when installed on the same partition as the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

Similar Threads

  1. HD install giving up during file copy
    By nosirrah in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
  2. Utility to move/copy a HD install
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:44 PM
  4. howto add users after hd install by copy from cdrom
    By gill1109 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
  5. How to copy the repertory /dev/*, can I copy nodes???
    By gadave in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VINTAGE 1990 Hayes LANstep Network Computer Operating System v1.00 SEALED NEW picture

VINTAGE 1990 Hayes LANstep Network Computer Operating System v1.00 SEALED NEW

$888.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage 1993 & 1994 Microsoft Home DINOSAURS PC Mac Game Software CD-Rom NEW  picture

Vintage 1993 & 1994 Microsoft Home DINOSAURS PC Mac Game Software CD-Rom NEW

$299.99



Vintage 1991 Applied Engineering AE Sonic Blaster Apple IIGS Sound Card SEALED picture

Vintage 1991 Applied Engineering AE Sonic Blaster Apple IIGS Sound Card SEALED

$699.99



Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare picture

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare

$199.99



SEALED Iomega PCMCIA to Fast SCSI II Adapter Jaz Card & Cable | VINTAGE NEW picture

SEALED Iomega PCMCIA to Fast SCSI II Adapter Jaz Card & Cable | VINTAGE NEW

$169.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00