Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How to write files onto FAT32 partition?

  1. #1

    How to write files onto FAT32 partition?

    Knoppix has been installed on HD.
    I am wondering how I can save files on the FAT32 partition.
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1
    Try enabling write access by write-clicking on the drive.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    I have the same problem. I have an external usb drive formated for fat32. I can write to it if I'm root but I only have read access as the "knoppix" user. I modified my fstab file with this:

    /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 vfat defaults,users,noauto,umask=000 0 0

    then I do:

    sudo rebuildfstab -r
    mkdesktophdicons

    And the /mnt/sda2 icon appears on the desktop but it only gives read access to the knoppix user.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    ...btw just as a follow up to the last msg, when I right click on the drive icon and go
    Properties ->Meta info it tells me that the driev is writable...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Take a look at /etc/group

    you want your user to be part of usb: and, probably disk: too.

    You can use Kuser to do this or edit /etc/group directly (as root).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsj
    Try enabling write access by write-clicking on the drive.
    yes, I tried. but it seems that i have to login as root. no idea.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Try adding this somewhere before the "0 0" in /etc/fstab:

    uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    Try adding this somewhere before the "0 0" in /etc/fstab:

    uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix
    Thank you for your advice firstly, and I tried, but nothing changed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by margaritaville
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    Try adding this somewhere before the "0 0" in /etc/fstab:

    uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix
    Thank you for your advice firstly, and I tried, but nothing changed.
    Are you sure you typed it on the right line? It works flawlessly on my computer.

    In order for the icon to be updated, you have to reselect the drive it mounts; you may wan't to check that as well. Also, try mounting it in a console and see if you then get write access.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    Quote Originally Posted by margaritaville
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    Try adding this somewhere before the "0 0" in /etc/fstab:

    uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix
    Thank you for your advice firstly, and I tried, but nothing changed.
    Are you sure you typed it on the right line? It works flawlessly on my computer.

    In order for the icon to be updated, you have to reselect the drive it mounts; you may wan't to check that as well. Also, try mounting it in a console and see if you then get write access.
    Here is my fstab file(it doesnt show any warning when starts):

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1


    #Added by user, for being able to write things onto fat32 partition, Jan 28, 2004
    uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0


    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
    By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
  2. FAT32 partition dissapeared??
    By country.hacker in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
  3. lilo - hidden fat32 partition
    By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
  4. How do I add fat32 partition after Linux install?
    By bilzer in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:43 AM
  5. fat32 read/write on firewire disk
    By dieterw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US picture

Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US

$111.14



Advantech/Samsung 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM RAM AQD-D4U8GE24-SE DDR4 EUDIMM picture

Advantech/Samsung 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM RAM AQD-D4U8GE24-SE DDR4 EUDIMM

$85.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34

Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) AMD FreeSync HDR

$217.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$55.00