Quote Originally Posted by probono
Thanks for these links, they might indeed give us some ideas.

Also interesting: www.gobolinux.org - Mac-like filesystem layout for Linux
Glad to be of any help. Actually, I look forward to having the chance to help more soon. Like others, I'me very interested in your work. What you and others have been doing is quite promising.

In my opinion, the importance of these issues is being overlooked, or underestimated in the very least, by many.

One can object that themes like these are going to give compatibility nightmares, and as such, adoption in mainstream systems will be hard when feasible at all. Anyway I think that, especially in FOSS systems, the gap between "proof-of-concept" and mainstream can be (and actually is) a lot less. Actually, FOSS may use this as a competitive advantage.

Finally, it is clear that Apple proved this objection wrong shipping OSX and switching massively to it, even if Apple can hardly be defined mainstream, OSX is quite mature for a novelty (NeXTStep), and they have a very loyal user base and proper "switching" mindset... one may say "a habit".

If mainstream means lack of innovation, may we go for diversity any day... but I digress.