Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 211

Thread: klik: point-and-klik software store for Knoppix

  1. #51
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Support for other browsers ...

    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Fabian, I have some reasons why I made *K*li*K* a *K* thing. For one, kdialog gets some really powerful new features soon (file and directory browsing,...). Second, the beauty of a link like klik:/BibEdit is that it is *really* easy to remember (and type - no need to go to the klik store page if you know what you want). Unlike (sorry to use your example, but it shows where this would lead to...) http://studwww.ira.uka.de/~s_franz2/...hp?run=BibEdit

    That's why I prefer the KDEized solution as it is now. But as always, discussion is open
    No, it would be:

    http://klik.berlios.de/?run=BibEdit

    Or:

    http://klik.berlios.de/BibEdit

    I don't think its difficult and it gives other distros the chance to use this ... (Your wine program isn't limited to KDE)

    And to have it also on gnome ...

    kdialog _sucks_ in my eyes as it is in no way compatible with dialog/Xdialog and has KDE as dependancy, which has the problems to limit the usage ...

    The beauty of knoppix also it that it can be used (on remasters) with gnome, with icewm, and so on ...

    And the Mozilla-Integration is as I've shown fairly easy ...

    Talking about user-experience also includes imho to have transparency and the users choice ...

    cu

    Fabian

  2. #52
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Support for other browsers ...

    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Check for possible security flaws!!! (Also for konqueror! Perhaps use perl with -T ?)
    Yes, I am security-minded, too. The security check would have to go into the KDE klik protocol handler file. Can you help me on this please? I'm not such a unix guru that I could foresee most potential cracker attacks...
    Most potential is to get a shell to do certain commands ...

    So I believe the check must go into ~/.klik ...

    Btw, it's not about "winning". It's about user experience I know that you are the better coder (see Knoppix on Mac) - but I believe I think more from an end-user's perspective. Hope you accept this from me.
    Well I had a terrible week with too less sleep (At the moment I can't sleep well and don't know why ...) and was working on my one also hard (last week) and then you come and give a better suited solution...

    Well and that Knoppix on Mac was nothing special ...

    I nowadays don't have the time to work on it ...

    Well the next project for you would be to improve the hd-installer ...

    I'm fairly sure, you can find many things that should be changed for end users ...

    Well, I think I'l retire ..

    cu

    Fabian (a bit frustrated and overloaded with other work for study and writing again some articles ...)

  3. #53
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    23
    kudos for klik. ran it and downloaded several apps. worked like a charm! keep up the good work!

  4. #54
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I have a pile of old PCs networked together. None of these PCs have working hdds, so with 128MB, a Pentium class motherboard and a bootable CDROM drive, I figured I'd network them together just booting off CDs.

    Now my kids will kill me if klik doesn't work with some LAN party style games.

    Can you please add some or all of the the following to the klik store?

    bzflag
    bzflag-server
    freecraft
    quake2
    quake2-data
    penguin-command (not LAN party, but good)

    TIA,
    AJG

  5. #55
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Games are not so easy to make work unless the new Knoppix with overlay filesystem comes out. penguin-command, for example, just dies and says "Couldn't load /usr/share/games/penguin-command/gfx/icon.png". No wonder when it is all inside ~/PenguinCommand/...

    For KDE apps, I have solved this problem by setting the KDEDIRS variable in the wrapper. Btw, does anyone know how to do the same for GNOME apps?

  6. #56
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    probono,

    I am thinking about how to add the following packages to the klik repository.

    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/....92-2_i386.deb
    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/...2-0.0_i386.deb

    The first package includes codecs for mplayer for such things as wma/v and quicktime. The second is a browser plugin for mozilla (which konq can also use) to be able to view/listen to streams that are embeded into the browser (as most quicktime and wma/v stuff is). I think these two packages would compliment your kpackage recipe quite well as they are pretty nice for checking out movie trailers and such. I toyed around with writing my own klik recipe, but these aren't really apps they are just various codecs and a browser plugin for mplayer/kplayer. This being the case, it might be better to add these to your kplayer recipe.

    From what I can see the mplayer-mozilla plugin should simply be extracted to ~/.mozilla/plugins

    Assuming that someone has used your kplayer recipe, the w32codecs should simply be placed in ~/KPlayer/usr/lib/win32

    In any event this would really compliment kplayer/mplayer well. I'm just unsure about the way implement it. Write new recipies or add these to kplayer? Thoughts?

    Adam

  7. #57
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Greetings all,

    Here is just a little shortcut I find useful.

    On the KDE desktop right click --> create a new text file -->
    name it KLIK --> open with an editor and add the two lines

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    wget klik.berlios.de/client/install -O -|sh
    save it --> right click properties --> Permissions-->
    Check all Exec boxes

    To reach klik just click it.

    Thanks to eadz's suggestion konqueor opens.
    P.s., 1st suggestion; after installing it, how bout opening up a konqueror to the page?
    Hopefully kilk will have a nice place on the KNOPPIX menu.

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  8. #58
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Games are not so easy to make work unless the new Knoppix with overlay filesystem comes out. penguin-command, for example, just dies and says "Couldn't load /usr/share/games/penguin-command/gfx/icon.png". No wonder when it is all inside ~/PenguinCommand/...

    For KDE apps, I have solved this problem by setting the KDEDIRS variable in the wrapper. Btw, does anyone know how to do the same for GNOME apps?
    You can patch the binary ...

    Yes, we did this all the way in Kanos and mine scripts and it did work quite well...#

    for tuxkart for example:

    perl -pi -e 's|/usr/share/games/tuxkart|./../share/games/tuxkart|' $DESTDIR/games/tuxkart

    And it works ...

    So add a line, patch ?

    cu

    Fabian

  9. #59
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/w32codecs_0.92-2_i386.deb
    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/...2-0.0_i386.deb
    From what I can see the mplayer-mozilla plugin should simply be extracted to ~/.mozilla/plugins. Assuming that someone has used your kplayer recipe, the w32codecs should simply be placed in ~/KPlayer/usr/lib/win32
    You are absolutely right, these should go into the kplayer recipe. I Tried to do this from the beginning, but I got the problem that I found no way to recognize mplayer/kplayer the libraries in ~/KPlayer/usr/lib/win32 - it seems to me mplayer has to be recompiled (which I won't do to just to change a path - every different username would do this again). If this is really the case we should write the mplayer developers so that they include a environment variable, e.g. $WIN32LIBS to be ckecked at runtime.

    But as I read now from Fabian, it is possible to patch binaries... I always thought I needed to compile for this (since Kano does so most of the time). I will investigate this and then we could also have the win32 codecs

  10. #60
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    for tuxkart for example:

    perl -pi -e 's|/usr/share/games/tuxkart|./../share/games/tuxkart|' $DESTDIR/games/tuxkart

    And it works ...

    So add a line, patch ?
    Fabian, you are best!!! Thanks a lot
    (No, I didn't really examine your code, sorry... will do)

    Just for my understanding: would
    Code:
    cat $DESTDIR/games/tuxkart | sed s@/usr/share@../share@ > $DESTDIR/games/tuxkart.patched
    also work or must it be perl?

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. klik on older knoppix versions
    By redss in forum Klik
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
  3. Use Klik with DVD Knoppix
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
  5. point-and-klik...
    By xaviers2002 in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99