Cool. I'd like to try your recipe for SynCE-KDE later. I don't have infrared, but hopefully it will work via usb.Originally Posted by probono
[quote="bfree"]I can perhaps understand why there has been a desire to have klik switch from something like kdialog to xdialog so that it could be used in other WMs, but run-level 2???? There aren't even any text based apps in the klik store yet.Originally Posted by probono
On another note, I'm working on a recepie, but keep getting errors - shows what a bad programer I am. Probono, I'll be contributing some recipies, but probably not till after the weekend. I'm quite busy. Keep up the good work.
Cool. I'd like to try your recipe for SynCE-KDE later. I don't have infrared, but hopefully it will work via usb.Originally Posted by probono
It would be nice if it was capable of working with a HDD install.
I guess then you need to know what the user has previously installed and its a whole new ballgame.
I've tried it with and hdd install with no problem. The only exception was Apache which looks for the CD.
Regards,
AJG
Apache should also work with hd installs as long as there is /etc/init.d/apacheOriginally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
From: http://klik.berlios.de/architecture/
<blockquote>I am very interested in your comments about the klik architecture. It is important to get the design right in the first place (before it gets real messy).</blockquote>
What I was thinking was that rather than maintaing your own configuration system or choosing one front-end why not use debconf? It should be expected to be on KNOPPIX and similar systems (i.e. all debian based systems), however minimal, and it provides numerous interfaces (including kde since the end of december in unstable). Whatever default debconf system is chosen by the system will be used, and people creating recipies can save themselves recreating the wheel by embedding the dialog from debconf into klik when it is really required to ask the user questions (not too common for the target area), and perhaps even "stealing" far more from the preinst and postinst scripts! You can gain a lot, and is there any real expense? It just seems like the right tool for the job to me, but that's just my 0.00002c (that's about as much as it's worth)
However, all this being said what's far more important is working with what you have now, which is great for a most of the target users, and in particular getting the system (primarily chefs) to have an up to date Knoppix klik repository! Keep up the good work.
Excellent suggestion, I did't know debconf, but I will look into it. But probably it will not make it into my recipes until the KDE debconf interface is default in KnoppixOriginally Posted by bfree
That was one of my next "todos"Originally Posted by bfree
This must be optional however since not all software is installed with .debs.
So is the Point-and-Klik Software Store going to be set up like the Lindows CNR Ware House wher you will go to the PAKSS and find a program and klik on it and the PAK software will install it for you just like on this demo page?
yes.Originally Posted by Snow
But how many packages will be there depends on how many "klik recipes" people contribute. I personally don't have the time to make 1001 recipes. klik is community effort driven, unlike Lindows CNR.
Btw, I added some new stuff recently.
Thats fine.
I was just wondering how it was going to work.

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13
$79.99
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95
Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10
$1505.77
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99