-
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
#161
klik client
Probono,
No, it wasn't hard, no 
But that wasn't really the point, the point was that I was wondering why you went to so much trouble writing it like that, it seems a tad suspicious...
It really looks like you intentionally try to obfuscate the client, and you are even biting yourself in the buttocks doing it like this, what if there comes a knoppix for powerpc or someting? you'd have to have 2 klik client binaries.
Why not just keep it as a shell script? add a uname -m to the browser string and have the klik server side scripts work out the architechture and you are able to have a klik shop for different machines!
Just my 2 cents
-
07-02-2004, 01:11 PM
#162
Senior Member
registered user
I am VERY interested in this option as I also am now running purely from a "poor mans install" and a 700M static home directory.
ProBono has done some splendid work here, but I do want to pose a question. An earlier poster in this thread noted that amule no longer works because the deb package it relies upon has changed or is no longer there. I just tried installing kplayer and tvtime and have the same results. For some of these programs that don't need to compile architecture specific (AMD/VIA/586/686/YADAYADA) wouldn't it be easier to just put the pre-compiled wrapper programs out there. Another option would be to let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available.
-
07-02-2004, 10:27 PM
#163
Re: klik client
The source reminded me of some windows programs that deliberatly obfuscate the strings. I love the idea though.
The userfriendlyness (spelling?) is just great, we intend to use KDE on our desktops and a system like this could work perfectly with a CMS thats linked to the working LDAP database.

Originally Posted by
TheMMaster
Probono,
Just my 2 cents

Keep your two cents and buy a beer
-
07-03-2004, 02:01 AM
#164
Senior Member
registered user
The client looks as it looks because security by obscurity is better than no security at all. Now that it has been reengineered, I can make it a shell script anyway.
I have updated the apps you mentioned. The longer-term goal is to make all software that is in debian klik-installable, without the need for manual updating of the klik recipes.
The problem with software that is not in debian is that it tends to fluctuate, and dead links are the result. If anyone wants to donate me some server space and bandwidth, I could create a mirror for the files that klik uses. Or is there another way?
-
07-03-2004, 02:11 AM
#165
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pau1knopp
I am VERY interested in this option as I also am now running purely from a "poor mans install" and a 700M static home directory.
So do I 

Originally Posted by
pau1knopp
wouldn't it be easier to just put the pre-compiled wrapper programs out there. Another option would be to let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available.
What exactly do you mean with a pre-compiled wrapper program and where do I get it from? I absolutely don't like to compile anything myself, since this nearly always involves libraries I do not have and processor power I also do not have.
To let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available is a good idea and could even be somewhat automated using a call to google. Do you want to write a download handler function (using kdialog, kfmclient copy etc.)?
-
07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
#166
Kplayer Codecs??
Hi Guys,
I installed Kplayer and find I need some win32 codecs. I got them from the site in Hungary but haven't a clue how to install them. Any ideas?? Does Klik-installed software need special steps??
Thanks,
Jim
-
07-10-2004, 04:34 PM
#167
Senior Member
registered user
To install win32 codecs:
1. klik-install kplayer
2. create the directory ~/kplayer/usr/lib/win32
3. copy the unpacked codecs there (not in a subdirectory)
probono
-
07-10-2004, 07:42 PM
#168
Hi Probono,
I did as you suggested but I still get 'Stream not seekable!' Any ideas?
Here's the link i'm trying to play;
http://instamovie.com/player.asp?Movie=liquid_wind-1
Thanks,
Jim
-
07-17-2004, 05:58 PM
#169
Junior Member
registered user
can u put a dc++ client in klick?
Since i am quite a newbie to linux, and i don't know how to install programs, it would a real help for me if i could install a dc++ client (oDC, or else) with the klick store.
Thanx.
Can u make this possible?
-
07-21-2004, 12:37 PM
#170
Senior Member
registered user
convert a click install?
pronobo
Is there a way to convert a userland install to a full one.
I have actually discovered some great apps through click
but I'd like to make em full installs not local userland ones.
Course i could install for each user or even move the directories as root etc. but on the HD install it would be nice to just 'convert' them.
any thoughts on this ? it should be possible...
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 20
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Klik
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Klik
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Klik
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor
$269.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS
$299.99

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99