Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 211

Thread: klik: point-and-klik software store for Knoppix

  1. #161
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    klik client

    Probono,

    No, it wasn't hard, no

    But that wasn't really the point, the point was that I was wondering why you went to so much trouble writing it like that, it seems a tad suspicious...

    It really looks like you intentionally try to obfuscate the client, and you are even biting yourself in the buttocks doing it like this, what if there comes a knoppix for powerpc or someting? you'd have to have 2 klik client binaries.

    Why not just keep it as a shell script? add a uname -m to the browser string and have the klik server side scripts work out the architechture and you are able to have a klik shop for different machines!

    Just my 2 cents

  2. #162
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am VERY interested in this option as I also am now running purely from a "poor mans install" and a 700M static home directory.

    ProBono has done some splendid work here, but I do want to pose a question. An earlier poster in this thread noted that amule no longer works because the deb package it relies upon has changed or is no longer there. I just tried installing kplayer and tvtime and have the same results. For some of these programs that don't need to compile architecture specific (AMD/VIA/586/686/YADAYADA) wouldn't it be easier to just put the pre-compiled wrapper programs out there. Another option would be to let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available.

  3. #163
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: klik client

    The source reminded me of some windows programs that deliberatly obfuscate the strings. I love the idea though.
    The userfriendlyness (spelling?) is just great, we intend to use KDE on our desktops and a system like this could work perfectly with a CMS thats linked to the working LDAP database.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMMaster
    Probono,
    Just my 2 cents
    Keep your two cents and buy a beer

  4. #164
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    The client looks as it looks because security by obscurity is better than no security at all. Now that it has been reengineered, I can make it a shell script anyway.

    I have updated the apps you mentioned. The longer-term goal is to make all software that is in debian klik-installable, without the need for manual updating of the klik recipes.

    The problem with software that is not in debian is that it tends to fluctuate, and dead links are the result. If anyone wants to donate me some server space and bandwidth, I could create a mirror for the files that klik uses. Or is there another way?

  5. #165
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    I am VERY interested in this option as I also am now running purely from a "poor mans install" and a 700M static home directory.
    So do I

    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    wouldn't it be easier to just put the pre-compiled wrapper programs out there. Another option would be to let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available.
    What exactly do you mean with a pre-compiled wrapper program and where do I get it from? I absolutely don't like to compile anything myself, since this nearly always involves libraries I do not have and processor power I also do not have.

    To let the client select where it wants to get a particular file from if it is not available is a good idea and could even be somewhat automated using a call to google. Do you want to write a download handler function (using kdialog, kfmclient copy etc.)?

  6. #166
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35

    Kplayer Codecs??

    Hi Guys,
    I installed Kplayer and find I need some win32 codecs. I got them from the site in Hungary but haven't a clue how to install them. Any ideas?? Does Klik-installed software need special steps??

    Thanks,
    Jim

  7. #167
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    To install win32 codecs:
    1. klik-install kplayer
    2. create the directory ~/kplayer/usr/lib/win32
    3. copy the unpacked codecs there (not in a subdirectory)

    probono

  8. #168
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35
    Hi Probono,
    I did as you suggested but I still get 'Stream not seekable!' Any ideas?

    Here's the link i'm trying to play;



    http://instamovie.com/player.asp?Movie=liquid_wind-1


    Thanks,
    Jim

  9. #169
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12

    can u put a dc++ client in klick?

    Since i am quite a newbie to linux, and i don't know how to install programs, it would a real help for me if i could install a dc++ client (oDC, or else) with the klick store.

    Thanx.

    Can u make this possible?

  10. #170
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    convert a click install?

    pronobo
    Is there a way to convert a userland install to a full one.
    I have actually discovered some great apps through click
    but I'd like to make em full installs not local userland ones.

    Course i could install for each user or even move the directories as root etc. but on the HD install it would be nice to just 'convert' them.

    any thoughts on this ? it should be possible...

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. klik on older knoppix versions
    By redss in forum Klik
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 08:46 PM
  3. Use Klik with DVD Knoppix
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:52 PM
  5. point-and-klik...
    By xaviers2002 in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520 picture

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520

$29.99



2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5

2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5" 240GB Solid State Drive

$29.50



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99