Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Corrupt init?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Corrupt init?

    Did I corrupt my init file?

    I was looking thru it and saw that it was starting up in init5, when I wanted it to start up in init3.

    So I changed it to 5 to 3 and now it starts up in the GUI, and I don't want that. I guess I was thinking about Redhat and 3 is text based and 5 is GUI.

    When I vi the file, the output is all screwed up.

    Can I just install it from the Knoppix 3.3 cdrom or can someone post theres?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Corrupt init?

    --Here's my /etc/inittab: (I wouldn't use it verbatim if I were you; it uses mingetty and only 4 VT's. Check over it 1st before replacing your bad one and rebooting.)

    Code:
    # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    # $Id: inittab,v 1.9 2001/05/31 10:37:50 knopper Exp $
    
    # The default runlevel.
    id:5:initdefault:
    
    # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
    # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
    si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
    
    # What to do in single-user mode.
    ~~:S:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
    
    # /etc/init.d executes the S and K scripts upon change
    # of runlevel.
    #
    # Runlevel 0 is halt.
    # Runlevel 1 is single-user.
    # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
    # Runlevel 6 is reboot.
    
    l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
    l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
    l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
    l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
    l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
    l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
    l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
    
    # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
    ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now
    
    # Action on special keypress (ALT-UpArrow).
    kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request -- edit /etc/inittab to let this work."
    
    # What to do when the power fails/returns.
    pf::powerwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail start
    pn::powerfailnow:/etc/init.d/powerfail now
    po::powerokwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail stop
    
    # /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
    #
    # The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
    # characters of the device (after "tty").
    #
    # Format:
    #  <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
    1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
    #5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    #6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
    
    # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
    #
    #T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
    #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
    
    # Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
    #
    #T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3
    
    #-- isdnutils begin
    # Change the lines below for your local setup and uncomment them.
    # Use "init q" to reread inittab.
    # look at the vboxgetty / mgetty manpage for more information (mgetty isn't
    # standard!)
    #
    #I0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/vboxgetty -d /dev/ttyI0
    #I1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -m '"" ATZ OK AT&Eyourmsnhere OK AT&B512 OK' -s 38400 ttyI1
    #-- isdnutils end
    # Run X Window session from CDROM in runlevel 5
    #w5:5:wait:/bin/sleep 2
    #x5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/xsession start
    --What you might want to do is poke around /etc/r c3.d and see if one of the symlinks in there is starting the Xfree server (like S99kdm or the like.)

    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    Did I corrupt my init file?

    I was looking thru it and saw that it was starting up in init5, when I wanted it to start up in init3.

    So I changed it to 5 to 3 and now it starts up in the GUI, and I don't want that. I guess I was thinking about Redhat and 3 is text based and 5 is GUI.

    When I vi the file, the output is all screwed up.

    Can I just install it from the Knoppix 3.3 cdrom or can someone post theres?

    thanks

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    I messed up and I am sorry for posting it...

    I meant inittab, not the init.

    I changed the run level to 3 to 5 which boots Knoppix 3.3 into GUI. I don't want that, so I used VI and changed the file back to what it was.

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  2. All ISO's corrupt?
    By randy431 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 04:31 AM
  3. Win XP Bootsector corrupt - How to fix this with Knoppix ?
    By cool-andy in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 05:25 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. corrupt Super Blocks
    By loji in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS* picture

Commodore 64 Vintage Computer System *PARTS/AS IS*

$70.00



Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++ picture

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++

$449.99



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00



Vintage Commodore 1581 Disk Drive Powers Up Original Box  picture

Vintage Commodore 1581 Disk Drive Powers Up Original Box

$375.00