Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix v3.3 problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix v3.3 problems

    Hi
    I have got Knoppix to try on machine before I install Redhat 9. I put it in and got the following apart from on one ocassion.

    Knoppix version 3.3
    release 2..3-11-19-beta

    Loading vmlinuz
    loading miniroot.gz

    Then picture of penguin
    Then
    accessing knoppix cdrom at /dev/scd0…

    The first time and all subsequent times apart from once, the screen scrolls past with and the last screen beginnings and ends with

    total memory found: kb

    creating directories – symlinks on ramdisk
    fat: bogus logical sector size 0
    kenal panic:vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01

    On one occasion it said
    total memory found: 65..kb
    I can’t remember what I saw, but it filled in a number. And then it appeared that my hardware was been detected I remember my usb coming up, then there was a green bar which moved across the screen.

    I was getting all excited and then scrolls past with
    cloop: Read error at pos 238321691 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix, 25851 bytes lost
    cloop error –3 uncompressing block 10188 65536/0/25851/0
    i/o error: dev 0b:00 sector 466572

    Then down the bottom
    init: cannot execute “/etc/init.d/xsession”

    The screens go by so fast, I am unable to give you all the error messages. If anyone knows how to do it I would be grateful?

    I have since got a couple of friends to try it, and it has worked on their machines, so I don't think it is the disk. Would it be my memory as no number comes up?

    Any help gratefully received.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It could be a memory issue, or that you didn't set the bios to "non plug and play OS" , it could be faulty cabling and jumpering or that you need to use one of the cheatcodes.

    It'd really help if you posted fuller specs of your box.

    BTW, if you do a HD install of Knoppix you get Debian, which many of us consider to be a better Distro to RedHat.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    It could be a memory issue, or that you didn't set the bios to "non plug and play OS" , it could be faulty cabling and jumpering or that you need to use one of the cheatcodes.

    It'd really help if you posted fuller specs of your box.

    BTW, if you do a HD install of Knoppix you get Debian, which many of us consider to be a better Distro to RedHat.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't know what non plug and play os is And how do I change it?

    The two friends who tried it out on their machines, all they did is what I did which was change the Bios to cdrom, c, a.

    I have Windows 98. AMD K6 400 processor. 64 meg ram.
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /Uxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 0:00:51:12
    Normal mode
    On "H7N6M9" as "J Simpson"

    AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    56MB RAM
    46% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (7375MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 7375MB of 9717MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 599MB of 2010MB (FAT32)


    Multimedia
    CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    Display
    Trident 8400 PCI/AGP (v6.50.5480)
    Modem
    Intel HaM Data Fax Voice Modem
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

    Is this the sort of thing you mean? If there is anything else you need to know please tell me? And where to find the info?

    It was suggested to me that I use Knoppix to check my hardware compatiblity. I wasn't intending to install it on my system.

    Basically I've had enough of Windows and I have been told Linux is getting user-friendly, so I want to change over. When I have checked on the web, Debian is not described as one of the easiest Distributions to use. That's why I am going for RedHat SuSE or Mandrake. However I saw the boxed version of RedHat 9, being advertised, so I bought it.

    Lots of people have offered me distributions, but I think I need a manual and 30 days of support.

    Thank you in advance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I don't know what non plug and play os is And how do I change it?
    In the bios: usually you'll find it in "PCI Devices" or some such. You'll have to do this for any modern Linux install anyway, and it won't affect Windows.

    Debian is, in fact, a very user friendly Distro once it's installed. The installing is a real pain in the bum, though. That's the main benifit of installing Debian through the Knoppix CD.

    As to support, well..........

    For practical purposes, RedHat support is useless.

    SuSE will give you hard copies of excellent documentation and 90 days of support, although, IMHO, the support itself is not that good. (BTW, if you are going to get SuSE, get a copy of the live evaluation CD -- you can download the iso -- first).

    Since all of the major distros use slightly different autodetection and configuration tools, there's not a lot of point in using Knoppix to see if, say, RedHat will run on your box.

    As always, the best support is through the community.

Similar Threads

  1. Are you having problems with Knoppix 3.8.1?
    By Harry Kuhman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 07:43 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 problems
    By dovla in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:05 PM
  3. A few different Knoppix problems
    By gtrshop in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 04:15 PM
  4. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  5. knoppix cd problems
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99