-

Originally Posted by
c123
check out the mailing list... here's a post from Klaus
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...ry/004506.html, click [thread] above the message to see more/later messages on the same topic
To save you the time here's the pertinent message:
The first public version of KNOPPIX 3.4 will be announced and
distributed (if everything goes well) at CeBit 2004
(
http://www.cebit.de/), and also be available for download shortly
afterwards.
The private edition in a german computer magazine is independent
thereof.
I'm still doing an update of the current 3.3 version, but have been
waiting for the XFS patch for Kernel 2.4.24 for quite a while without
success (it's still not there on
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/patches/2.4.24, anybody happens to know
why it is delayed?). Now KDE 3.1.5 is slowly entering Debian/unstable,
and I will probably include it in the 3.3 update as well, so please
allow me some more time for the update.
As for features of the new 3.3 and new 3.4 releases, check out aay's post of about two weeks ago (Klaus says nothing has changed).
HTH
In the kernel source I've gotten from http://kernel.org for both 2.4.25 and 2.6, the XFS support is already there (without applying any patch). I'm not sure when this changed but it is nice being able to build this into the kernel since I use XFS now exclusively. The 2.6 changelogs show coders at SGI (and Intel, IBM, HP, etc.) are major contributors to kernel development.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: 2.6, nvidia and cloop

Originally Posted by
Alextreme
one of the major issues in moving to 2.6 is/was cloop. One of our comrades in action (toasty) found
http://yui.mine.nu/linux/eberry.html seems someone already ported cloop to 2.6.x. Not sure if this was known before, but wanted to give you guys something to play around with ;-)
The inevitable question - has anyone played around with this live CD? The author has helpfully put up a page listing the diffenrence between his live CD and Knoppix. Basically Berry is based on Red Hat (Fedora?) while Knoppix is of course based on Debian. The really interesting thing is IMO the new kernel :))
-
Just tried Berry v0.36 and it wouldn't boot on a dual overclocked celeron( BP6 ) running at 500MHz. It booted to a VERY limited shell with the previous error message saying it couldn't mount/find the CDROM.
oh well. Next....
-
Knoppix 3.4 is great
I'm just writing this with the Knoppix 3.4 c't edition (subscribers get the c't today). It booted with no problems on my Dell PC.
uname -a
Linux Knoppix 2.6.1 #1 SMP Thu Jan 15 15:10:43 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
The KDE version it uses is 3.1.4 by the way.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Please provide .torrent of the Knoppix 3.4 c't edition
-
Re: Knoppix 3.4 is great

Originally Posted by
flubba
I'm just writing this with the Knoppix 3.4 c't edition (subscribers get the c't today). It booted with no problems on my Dell PC.
uname -a
Linux Knoppix 2.6.1 #1 SMP Thu Jan 15 15:10:43 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
The KDE version it uses is 3.1.4 by the way.
hey, wanna set up a ftp-server?
I can't wait till monday, I will go get the latest issue of the c't-magazine first thing in the morning! BTW, according to http://heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/knoppix/ (in german) knoppix 3.4 c't-edition also includes gnome 2.4, captive and a "live-installer" (sounds like klik:// to me)..
-
Re: 2.6, nvidia and cloop

Originally Posted by
Alextreme
one of the major issues in moving to 2.6 is/was cloop. One of our comrades in action (toasty) found
http://yui.mine.nu/linux/eberry.html seems someone already ported cloop to 2.6.x. Not sure if this was known before, but wanted to give you guys something to play around with

AFAIK, the gentoo folks also have something in the works for cloop on linux 2.6. http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/gcloop/ is what I (well, google actually
found so far.
-
Re: Knoppix 3.4 is great

Originally Posted by
flubba
I'm just writing this with the Knoppix 3.4 c't edition (subscribers get the c't today). It booted with no problems on my Dell PC.
uname -a
Linux Knoppix 2.6.1 #1 SMP Thu Jan 15 15:10:43 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
The KDE version it uses is 3.1.4 by the way.
Flubba, you lucky dog you.
So, have you noticed anything different? Because of the I/O bound loading of apps/etc, performance boosts will probably only be seen in things loaded and not swapping out. Some of the current tests of 2.4 vs 2.6 show some darn good improvements on performance though the pre-emptive stuff should "feel" different too.
When somebody gonna post the ISO somewhere?
-
Linux 2.6.x changelogs
I'm thinking of waiting for Knoppix 3.5 due to the huge Linux kernel changelogs like http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v...eLog-2.6.3-rc1
If Knoppix 3.4 has the 2.6.1 kernel, I'll wait for a more stable kernel with a shorter changelog, before I install it to harddisk.
Anyway, I can't wait to boot Knoppix 3.4 from CD
-
Hey guys, since nobody objected when some asked for the iso, i am going to seed it (bittorrent), please remove Post if it is not wanted here. I am using an open tracker I found today, so be patient 
Warning - I did not find any Statements that this Data should not be posted to Internet, but please check for yourself. I checked the files that i ripped off the CD with the md5sums on the disk, so it should work fine.
Torrent
Similar Threads
-
By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
-
By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
-
By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
-
By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A
$119.99

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00