Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: KnoppixKDE Review

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    KnoppixKDE Review

    EADZ's remastered version of Knoppix keeps making the news. I found a link at Newsforge to a very favorable review of KnoppixKDE. It's espcially nice to have such a good review since the reviewer says that it is his first forray with Linux. Keep up the good work EADZ!

    You can check out the review here.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Industrial Soot

    I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background. If promotion of KDE is the objective, it would be good to consider that psychologically the standard Knoppix background is a horrid choice. I have personally demoed Knoppix to others and the background does not lend clarity or likability to the experience.

    Aside from this I am very enthusiastic about the idea of a KDE-only Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    I liked it. There's plenty of CD room for more goodies in the next releases. I'm not sure, but PH didn't work for me. Either I'm an idiot or it wasn't the latest corrected scripts that came out just before this compilation.

    Anyway EADZ has hit a triple and two RBI. I can't wait to see him up to bat again. It'll be a grand slam for sure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: Industrial Soot

    Quote Originally Posted by billstei
    I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background. If promotion of KDE is the objective, it would be good to consider that psychologically the standard Knoppix background is a horrid choice. I have personally demoed Knoppix to others and the background does not lend clarity or likability to the experience.

    Aside from this I am very enthusiastic about the idea of a KDE-only Knoppix.
    not sure if you tried KnoppixKDE but he wasn't talking about the Knoppix background, I used a kde background ( default_gears ) which comes with kde and is the default background for kde.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Industrial Soot

    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Quote Originally Posted by billstei
    I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background.... .
    not sure if you tried KnoppixKDE but he wasn't talking about the Knoppix background, I used a kde background ( default_gears ) which comes with kde and is the default background for kde.
    I agree with eadz. I really have to question whether "the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background." I'd take the most hideous background known to man if other technical issues could be addressed.

    Anyway, try KnoppixKDE it has a nice background.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2
    Eadz - sorry for the assumption that you had used the same default Knoppix background, and good to hear you went with the KDE one. It will probably make the difference between me wanting to demo it, versus having someone close their eyes long enough until I can fix it. So your guess was correct: I haven't actually tried it - I was waiting for the dust to settle, and in the hopes that you cram it full of everything KDE possible before I burn one. Thanx for your efforts (including the whole web site for that matter).

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Conroe, TX
    Posts
    5

    KCM samba and nfs configuration modules...

    Does anyone know where the modules can be found? They are a part of the Knoppix-KDE release, but I can't determine in which KDE package they are located.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    This thread is a little old but I'll bump it up again.

    With all the activity from Klaus overshadowing all things Knoppix, how is the second version of Knoppix KDE coming along edaz?

    Don't forget to include nForce2 unified Linux drivers so us nForce2 mobo/AMD owners we can have sound and use our LAN.

    Thanx,

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    This thread is a little old but I'll bump it up again.

    With all the activity from Klaus overshadowing all things Knoppix, how is the second version of Knoppix KDE coming along edaz?
    Well there is no need for Knoppix KDE as Knoppix 3.2 has the latest version of KDE.

    Knoppix KDE CVS was in the works apparently by orth, so that will be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Review
    By pulsar in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:42 PM
  2. Brief KDE 3.2 Review
    By towjamb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 03:39 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 07:22 PM
  4. KnoppixKDE
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 03:25 PM
  5. knoppixkde
    By vasfi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB picture

Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB

$89.99



WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops picture

WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops

$39.99