-
Junior Member
registered user
xdm hanging
Knoppix 3.3 19 Nov on HDD.
When I close root's X11 session to login as a different user, the screen blanks and xdm never respawns ...
Any ideas ?
Thankyou. Bob
-
1 are you shure it's xdm and not kdm ?
2 do you happen to have an ATI radeon card ?
there is a bug or problem with kdm and radeon together,
it was discussed here some time ago, but I couldn't find it anymore.
I had such a problem and solved it by installing GDM and using it instead of KDM.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
violinist
1 are you shure it's xdm and not kdm ?
2 do you happen to have an ATI radeon card ?
there is a bug or problem with kdm and radeon together,
it was discussed here some time ago, but I couldn't find it anymore.
I had such a problem and solved it by installing GDM and using it instead of KDM.
Dear Violinist (what a great instrument !),
You are correct. It's kdm and I have an ATI Radeon mobility card.
Will switch to GDM.
Thank you.
Bob
-
You are correct. It's kdm and I have an ATI Radeon mobility card.
Will switch to GDM.
Thank you.
Bob
I have the same card in my laptop and have never had such an issue. You might want to try 'dpkg-reconfigure kdm' or something first. I've tried out GDM and didn't much care for it myself.
Similar Threads
-
By dave123 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
-
By Jameson in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
-
By blue raven in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 05:44 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 12:57 PM
-
By robk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99