Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: lilo Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4

    lilo Problem

    So I have a previous installation of Mandrake on hdb5 and I had Mandrake install lilo on MBR.

    Now I just installed Knoppix debian style on hdb5 (replace mandrake). During the installation I was asked if I wanted to install lilo on the MBR and I said yes.

    After installation was complete I rebooted the system and was presented with my old lilo screen with mandrake logo decorations. Anyone know why? Maybe Knoppix didn't install lilo? I've checked around and made sure to disable BIOS virus protection.

    Using the live cd i was able to get access to the lilo.conf which is located /mnt/hdb5/etc/. It seems like there isn't any connection between the lilo on MBR and the config file. Anyone know how I can re-install lilo?

    #####################
    boot=/dev/hda
    vga=791
    prompt
    timeout=50
    append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb5
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz

    ## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
    # other=/dev/hda1
    # label=dos
    # optional
    # table=/dev/hda

    ###########################

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    The line:

    boot=/dev/hda

    means that lilo will install in the master boot record of hda (the master IDE drive). If it isn't installed, you can install it using the command "lilo". If you can't boot Linux, you can boot with the Knoppix Cd and chroot to the Linux partition:

    chroot /mnt/hdb5

    Then enter the command "lilo". Exit and reboot. From your lilo.conf it appears that you have two drives. I have always only used one, so maybe there is something different you have to do. Hopefully someone else will post if what I have said is not right.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I have one hard drive that has 6 partitions. The problem seems really odd because Knoppix should have installed lilo on the MBR during installation. During the installation there seemed to be a few errors (or at least what I think were errors) but they want by too fast. Does Knoppix generate some kind of error log during the installation so I can take a look at it after the installer is done?

    As a last resort maybe I should install lilo on the hdb5 partition? I mean should the MBR take precedence over the partition? Are there any dangers to doing this?


    Thanks for the reply...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Your lilo.conf looks fine - but it would boot knoppix only, as your windows section is commented out. Is there nothing on hda which you still want to be able to boot? Otherwise, try "lilo -v" and pay attention to possible error messages.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    The problem is I still have the lilo Mandrake installed on MBR and not the lilo Knoppix should have installed.

    When I boot my system I get lilo boot screen but it is the lilo that Mandrake installed and it is able to boot into Windows. Basically, I can accesses Win2k through lilo (installed by Mandrake) but since I overwrote the installation of Mandrake with Knoppix my the Linux option on lilo doesn't take me anywhere (previously booted into Mandrake).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Did you re-run "lilo -v" with the above conf file ? It may have been correctly built but left unused by the installation script...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    Even though I have uncheck the read-only checkbox on all my drives I get "Permission Denied on /dev/hda/" error when I run lilo -v.

    This is what I did:
    - Inserted live CD
    - Let it boot into KDE.
    - Unchecked read-only checkbox on all my hard drive partitions.
    - Hit CTRL+ALT+F1
    - chroot to /mnt/hdb5
    - lilo -v

    This is really starting to frustrate me

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    There is another option that you need to use when mounting your hdb5. It is -o dev. Have a look at this topic http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1789#17551

Similar Threads

  1. LILO problem
    By shadinio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:07 PM
  2. Lilo problem ( Another )
    By Syslog in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 07:20 PM
  3. Lilo Problem
    By Xylene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
  4. New LILO 99 problem
    By sonic20 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 04:57 AM
  5. Lilo problem
    By milenbo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$255.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



READ Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

READ Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$149.99



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro

$189.99