Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: All ISO's corrupt?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4

    All ISO's corrupt?

    I set out to burn a 3.3 CD. So far I'm getting the same errors from 3 different images downloaded from 3 different mirrors, and in all 3 cases, md5 checksums match the downloaded images, as do all 3 burned cd's. I've also used 2 different computers and burners to try creating the cd's. The cd's all boot, but dispay the first error message just after the 'setting paths' message. The boot continues with all subsequent messages looking normal until the Init 5 message. The errors all point to problems in the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image, errors decompressing, and loss of bytes.

    The image file is KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

    Are there any known issues with this image? Having used totally different hardware to burn the cd's, and having downloaded the image 3 times from 3 different sources, and making sure md5 checksums are good, then havng the exact problems occur at the same points lead me think there is a problem with the iso itself.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    I doubt that the image files on the mirrors are corrupt -- simply on the evidence that there would be massive discussion of that problem on this forum if that were the case.

    You used different hardware to burn the CDs. Have you also tried booting the CDs on different computers? (You probably have . . . but if you haven't, I'd try that first!)

    You say the checksums match. How are you testing that? If you haven't already, try running the Knoppix CD with the cheatcode "testcd" (that is, at the Knoppix boot prompt, type "knoppix testcd"). I'm not certain, but I think this will perform a bit more than a checksum test. Keep your eyes on the screen, though. The test takes a couple of minutes, and after it displays its verdict the booting continues, which scrolls the information off the screen.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I am also having problems with this I think. I burned a copy of 3.3 en, and all I get is a black background on boot. Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    And to clarify, I used an MD5 checker on mine and it worked fine.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I've tried booting the cd's on 3 different machines with at least very similar results. It seems one machine makes it past the first error, but it also starts complaining as soon as init level 5 appears. The cd's were burned on a windows 98 computer , and on a Debian linux machine. checksums were checked with md5sum on the linux machine and comes up with a perfect match. for fun and to make sure the burning hardware wasn't going south I reburned the 3.2 image on the debian box and that cd works fine. I'll try the testcd at boot and see what it reveals on the 3.3 disc.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    Just when you thought you'd seen it all. After repeated attempts at burning and reburning, and with all sorts of different hardware to burn on and boot from and still no success I applied some abstract thinking. All tries at burning the 3.3 iso were done on cd's from a new pack of 50 that was just opened. For fun I broke open another new pack of discs and gave it a try. BINGO! First try out of the chute it produced a perfectly bootable/functional 3.3 from the same image that had failed many times before. Since it was company money, I proceeded to burn 2 more copies, one on the linux box, one on the windows box and both are perfect.
    I tried one more time with a cd from the original pack, and though it appeared to burn fine, it totally refuses to boot.
    My conclusion is that we bought a box of 50 pre-made coasters (ie:factory defects!)

Similar Threads

  1. Multiple .iso's and boot manager on a dvd
    By adamherb in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
  2. Updated Overclockix iso's
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 08:38 PM
  3. Corrupt init?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:21 AM
  4. 750Mb ISO's won't fit on CD... HELP!
    By Pierscoe1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:18 PM
  5. corrupt Super Blocks
    By loji in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh M0116 Keyboard & A9M0331 Mouse ADB Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0116 Keyboard & A9M0331 Mouse ADB Tested Working

$125.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Apple Vintage 90s Employee Laptop Bag With Shoulder Strap picture

Apple Vintage 90s Employee Laptop Bag With Shoulder Strap

$35.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh M0100 Mouse Beige One Button DB9 Made USA Untested picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh M0100 Mouse Beige One Button DB9 Made USA Untested

$59.99



Vintage Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium Laptop 800 MHz 60 GB HD 15

Vintage Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium Laptop 800 MHz 60 GB HD 15" LCD Screen A1001

$79.99



Original Apple Mouse IIc Box Only Vintage 1985 picture

Original Apple Mouse IIc Box Only Vintage 1985

$40.00



VINTAGE APPLE II PLUS VIDEX ENHANCER II MODIFIED KEYBOARD OVERLAY MICROSCI picture

VINTAGE APPLE II PLUS VIDEX ENHANCER II MODIFIED KEYBOARD OVERLAY MICROSCI

$200.00



Apple Facts 11.96 November Vintage Apple Computer Book picture

Apple Facts 11.96 November Vintage Apple Computer Book

$99.00



Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested picture

Original Early Vintage Macintosh Joystick for IIe IIc A2M2012 Untested

$99.00