You meant you're using ClusterKnoppix right? Ordinary Knoppix does not have a mosix kernel or packages it needs for clustering...
Hi!![]()
I am a very new user of Knoppix Clustering. I have this project that is to connect at least 2 dell pentium 4 computers together to form a Linux cluster. I have already finished installing the knoppix on the Hd on my 2 computers with the info I get on the Internet.
What I want to do now is to prove that the cluster works. I have link it up to a private network that do allow me to surf the internet as well, although the mozilla do not work sometimes.![]()
What kind of programs or scripts can i run to test the clustering? Where can I get these programs or scripts? How do I find out if the 2 computers are connected? There is an autodetect function which I read up in the installation guide but how will I know that they are connected in a cluster?
Thanks alot, will apperciate your fast responses.![]()
You meant you're using ClusterKnoppix right? Ordinary Knoppix does not have a mosix kernel or packages it needs for clustering...
I am using KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso which I download it from "mirror.pacific.net.au".
Sorry but I am really new to Linux so I do not know how to go about at it.
But I have found a openMosix Stress test which I hope to use to test my clustering.(found on "www.openmosixview.com/omtest")
Please advise.
On this page- http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations
You will find many custom versions of Knoppix. One of them is called ClusterKnoppix which has been modified to act as a mosix cluster. Just network your PC's togher and boot them off of a CD and they should start communicating and swapping processes back and forth. The way a mosix cluster works is to balance the load of processes between all available machines and send them to the machines with the most free resources.
The way a beouwulf cluster works is to split the threads of multi-threaded applications and run them simultaneously on different machines. Only specially coded software will work this way- ie its not good for much from a home user's standpoint.
You are really good. Thanks alot, arkaine23.
I will try out the ClusterKnoppix as you suggested. Really apperciate your help.![]()
When using a dual-processor ,does this work the same way ?
Or is the thread also divided into multi-threads and divided over both processors ?
SMP- multi threaded applications will take advantage of both CPU's. Otherwise single threads will distribute themsleves onto one or the other CPU. This makes SMP machines great at multi-tasking with single-threaded apps, and particularly (usually about 60% performance advantage) good at multi-threaded applications.
Hi again.
I have sucessfully download and burn the latest version of the clusterKNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN-cl1.iso.
I have no problems running it from the cd but when I tried a Hd Install, I get this error: "scandir:No such device or address".
I did the installation anyway and got some of the configurations wrong including the network as the error message keep popping out every 2-3 secs. After installing it, it is able to boot up but my network doesn't work anymore.
Tried to reinstall clusterKnoppix again but it pop out the error: "EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)) ext2_write_inode: bad inode number: 5011 Remounting filesystem read only"
Another error: "shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directoris: No such file or directory..."
What is wrong with my version? Can anything be done to get rid of the error?
really apperciate all the help there is..![]()
Hi new~bie!
At me at the same problem >>>(scandir: No such device or address)!!!
If you have solved her, please send me the answer!
>>>[email protected]
Special Thanks!!!
There is a remaster that will allow paralell processing with normal programs.Originally Posted by arkaine23
I played with it but never really tested it.

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99
Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4
$7.99