View Poll Results: Pick a number between 1 and 4
- Voters
- 2. You may not vote on this poll
-
Junior Member
registered user
It works! apt-get and firewall questions
It's the greatest!
So I just went for lilo on the mbr and am dual booting winxp perfectly.
I've installed and configured all my fav things such as shadows new bittorrent, firebird, thunderbird, and adsl connection [free.fr] without any pain.
Now, I want to update everything..
I ran
# apt-get update
which ran with lots of errors until I removed a few lines in the sources.list
I then ran
# apt-get install
but don't think it did anything even though no errors were returned and it took like around 30mins to downloads lots of stuff..
Most s/w such as airsnort/mozilla and most dependencies of other stuff I installed of these still were at old revisions.
So finally a direct question:
==================
How do I correctly configure apt.. any better examples than the default one.
And another question:
==============
as I'm doing lots of illegal things, such as running unlicensed sco code, can anyone recommend a firewall tool.. I hate IP chains cli firewalling, is there any newbie style ones like sytrans on winders?
Anything else you want to add or suggest to install?!
Way to go!
Bill
Similar Threads
-
By rubic_cube in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM
-
By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
-
By dugstratton in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
-
By knoppixbill in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
-
By georgetoon in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00