View Poll Results: Pick a number between 1 and 4

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1

    1 50.00%
  • 2

    0 0%
  • 3

    1 50.00%
  • 4

    0 0%
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: It works! apt-get and firewall questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    france
    Posts
    18

    It works! apt-get and firewall questions

    It's the greatest!
    So I just went for lilo on the mbr and am dual booting winxp perfectly.
    I've installed and configured all my fav things such as shadows new bittorrent, firebird, thunderbird, and adsl connection [free.fr] without any pain.


    Now, I want to update everything..
    I ran

    # apt-get update

    which ran with lots of errors until I removed a few lines in the sources.list

    I then ran

    # apt-get install

    but don't think it did anything even though no errors were returned and it took like around 30mins to downloads lots of stuff..

    Most s/w such as airsnort/mozilla and most dependencies of other stuff I installed of these still were at old revisions.

    So finally a direct question:
    ==================

    How do I correctly configure apt.. any better examples than the default one.

    And another question:
    ==============

    as I'm doing lots of illegal things, such as running unlicensed sco code, can anyone recommend a firewall tool.. I hate IP chains cli firewalling, is there any newbie style ones like sytrans on winders?

    Anything else you want to add or suggest to install?!

    Way to go!
    Bill

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    The 'apt-get install' command requires you to tell it what package(s) to install. Did you mean to say 'apt-get upgrade'? Also, personally I prefer just to update the apps I use alot and install the missing ones I need. I don't ever use the 'apt-get upgrade' command.

    As far as firewall apps, there's guarddog and firestarter. Guarddog uses the iptables I believe, but is GUI-based. Firestarter seems to be the easiest to use from what I can tell, but doesn't seem to have near as many features.

Similar Threads

  1. Firewall?
    By rubic_cube in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM
  2. Firewall
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
  3. firewall
    By dugstratton in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
  4. Security? Firewall?
    By knoppixbill in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
  5. Firewall
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55