I've only seen this (and not with a first HD) when cabling and jumpering were suspect and/or a slower drive was "upstream" of the drive reporting the errors.
Is dma enabled for the drive in the bios? Check cabling and jumpering.
Hi
I just installed Knoppix onto hard disk, to co-exist with Windows 98 on the other partition. Install went fine but the system hangs towards the end of booting with the following text:
hda: dma_timer_expiry dma status==0x20
hda: timeout waiting for dma
hda: __idle_dma_test_irq called while not waiting
hda: status error 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: drive not ready for command
Any suggestions greatly received.
Thanks
--mco
I've only seen this (and not with a first HD) when cabling and jumpering were suspect and/or a slower drive was "upstream" of the drive reporting the errors.
Is dma enabled for the drive in the bios? Check cabling and jumpering.
Thanks.
How can I find out if DMA is enabled?
I also noticed a few other things earlier in the boot text.
hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
ide late registration of driver
Also, looking at the disk with Partition Magic in Windows has it
complaining about some crossing of 1024Mb boundary.
Could this be a disk layout problem and not hardware/drivers?
Thanks
--mco

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 RAM F4-3600C18Q-128GVK
$799.99
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99
Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95
Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu
$399.95
Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz
$87.00
TeamGroup T-Force Dark 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz CL14-16-16-31 1.2V Heatsink
$63.00
16GB Micron MTA4ATF1G64HZ-3GF1 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-3200AA Laptop Memory #7799
$45.00
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 4000MHz
$170.00
LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99