You need one of the few remastered knoppix CD's that have captive NTFS. Knoppix 3.3 can't write to NTFS unless you hard drive install it and then add support for it through captive NTFS or the 2.6 kernel.
How do I make an NTFS partition NOT read only? I am logged in as root at a console and I get a filesystem is read-only error when I try to move files.
You need one of the few remastered knoppix CD's that have captive NTFS. Knoppix 3.3 can't write to NTFS unless you hard drive install it and then add support for it through captive NTFS or the 2.6 kernel.
Oh.![]()
Dear arkaine23,
would you like to explain me in details how can have/add support for NTFS through captive NTFS ???
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
Do I have a sign on me that says "hi, I'm a Linux admin, ask me anything"?
Well, I might know a little bit about Linux, but adding captive NTFS or 2.6 kernel to a live CD or installed distro are things I haven't gotten around to doing yet.
I can post a few links that will help you out though...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6546#29685
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7317#33492
Just search and you may find more. Also, it looks like Knoppix 3.4 will probably show up in a few weeks. That should support NTFS writing. the newest version of Knoppix STD has NTFS write capability.
If you're on a LAN, you can write to a NTFS share on another computer using samba... Nothing special, just samba.
mkdir /mnt/poiint
smbmount //hostname/sharename /mnt/point -o username=username
Just run it as root and fill in the vaules for hostname (name of remote computer), sharename (name of share), and username (user to connect as). Then you should get prompted to enter username's password, and the share drive will be mounted to /mnt/point (or whatever directory you specify).
Dear arkaine23,
thanks for your answer.
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable
$125.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00