OK, I answered my own question.
Knoppix: screen=640x480
works.
Thanks anyway.
I put my brand new Knoppix 3.3 CD-R into my old Gateway Pentium II. Everything seemed to be coming up fine until the CRT screen started rolling and wouldn't stop. About the last thing that the CRT displayed before it started rolling was Starting X11, then the CRT clicked, seemed to turn off, and came back on rolling and unreadable. After reading other messages here, I tried:
boot: knoppix lang=us vga=normal
and
boot: knoppix failsafe
both with the same result.
According to the Belarc Advisor, the display is:
STB Velocity 128 (Display Adapter)
Standard VGA 640x480 (Monitor)
The system starts up just fine; what can I do to keep it working???
Thanks for any response.
OK, I answered my own question.
Knoppix: screen=640x480
works.
Thanks anyway.
Also try vga=normal.
But if screen... works, then that's good.
- Ambrose

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99
OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) Black Owl 2666 MHz CL19 1.2V 288-Pin Desktop UDIMM
$130.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
$169.99
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99
SK HYNIX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop RAM MEMORY
$79.99