Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Vanishing files in /dev

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24

    Vanishing files in /dev

    I notice that at times some files in /dev vanish:
    A list of some:
    isdncntrl0 video0 mixer1 mixer video hda hdc ...
    I have learned to restore them by linking or creating them with mknod.
    But I want to know: What is the reason of vanishing? Previous I used SuSe and this never happens.
    Any ideas to prevent?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    /dev/tty7 lost too!

    Hi,

    All I can say is you 're not losing your mind, I thought I was losing mine when after a few reboots my X stopped working with a message about "virtual console 7" not being available. Although I thought there are only 6 virtual consoles in "normal" Linux and I had no idea X needed a virtual console, I tried

    MAKEDEV /dev/tty7

    and my X was back! Losing other /dev entries sounds very, very dangerous of course, and I hope someone has an idea, maybe we can install a monitoring program that records the time, date and process that something is deleted?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hate to chime in, but I had the exact same problem on two machines. I lost /dev/null and /dev/hda, which caused some annoying problems on boot up.

Similar Threads

  1. *.cmg files won't run!?!
    By jsp in forum Klik
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
  2. .sh files
    By Egypt322 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. Need to put files somewhere
    By Baraboo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 09:46 PM
  4. rar files
    By wrangler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 05:14 AM
  5. files
    By jojo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed picture

Macintosh MacTerminal M0521 Version 1.0. Vintage Apple software 1984 Sealed

$129.99



Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray picture

Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0618-A Original Box Japan AUX Gray

$14.95



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99