-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Want FTP client, trying kbear, but...

Originally Posted by
RobertB
Some questions are so basic, I guess, that they don't get added to the FAQ. Getting an FTP client up and running (on my Knoppix HD install) would seem to be one of those.
I know I can use Konqueror, and I've found command-line FTP, but since I'm a total newbie I want to get used to installing programs. It looks like KBear (
http://kbear.sourceforge.net/) is a nice GUI FTP client, so I'm trying to install it. And I'm getting dependency errors, so I'm trying to install the things it's dependent on.
http://www.debian.org/ is a handy resource for installing apps, so I'm getting the .deb from there. Actually, I'm copying the URL of the .deb file from Opera (which I did get installed, whee!) to KPackage. KBear had a few dependency problems, so I tried grabbing one of them, kdelibs3. But it doesn't want to install either:
Selecting previously deselected package kdelibs3.
dpkg: regarding .../kdelibs3_2.2.2-13.woody.8_i386.deb containing kdelibs3:
kdelibs4-dev conflicts with kdelibs3 (<< 4:3.0.0)
kdelibs3 (version 4:2.2.2-13.woody.

is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing //root/.kpackage/kdelibs3_2.2.2-13.woody.8_i386.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing kdelibs3
Errors were encountered while processing:
//root/.kpackage/kdelibs3_2.2.2-13.woody.8_i386.deb
Any suggestions for a) a more newbie-install-friendly FTP client or b) the right way to install KBear?
(And if you have a chance, I'd like to know why KPackage takes soooooo long to show the dialog when I hit File/Open)
It looks like you are trying to install a package meant for stable and that will not work it will downgrade your install. Try going to the command line either through opening a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) then typing su enter key type in the root password when asked then apt-get -s install kbear if the output of the simulated command looks good then remove the -s from the line to actually install or logout from the kde session and choose from the kde greeter screen in the menu option console login and login as regular user then use the su to become root and use the above suggested command. If you would like to install packages graphically I would suggest apt-get install synaptic then from a console window after having used su to become root type in synaptic. All this assumes that you have first done an apt-get update to have updated the apt database with the available packages from the archives.
Similar Threads
-
By linux_trojan in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 03:13 AM
-
By lor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
-
By kayl in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 10:28 AM
-
By 4season in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:56 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95