-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Want FTP client, trying kbear, but...

Originally Posted by
Stephen
It looks like you are trying to install a package meant for stable and that will not work it will downgrade your install. Try going to the command line either through opening a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) then typing su enter key type in the root password when asked then apt-get -s install kbear if the output of the simulated command looks good then remove the -s from the line to actually install or logout from the kde session and choose from the kde greeter screen in the menu option console login and login as regular user then use the su to become root and use the above suggested command... All this assumes that you have first done an apt-get update to have updated the apt database with the available packages from the archives.
Ok, now that's something I didn't try -- as a newbie, I don't really understand the difference between using SU and just logging on as Root. (and then there's "sudo"... is that just a one-command "su"?) I've tried "apt-get update", but it didn't seem to be working very well. (Hope I didn't break anything by ctl-C'ing!) I guess I need to:
* Log in as root
* Open a shell
* Do "su"?
* Run an apt-get update
* Try apt-get -s install kbear
* Then (hopefully) apt-get install kbear

Originally Posted by
Stephen also
If you would like to install packages graphically I would suggest apt-get install synaptic then from a console window after having used su to become root type in synaptic.
I'm actually trying to go back to the command line. I'm an old DOS hand, and it's exciting (if occasionally frustrating) going back to the hard way. But if my cluelessness overcomes my idealism, I'll have to try synaptic.
Similar Threads
-
By linux_trojan in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 03:13 AM
-
By lor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
-
By kayl in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 10:28 AM
-
By 4season in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:56 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99