-
test machine no longer boots into windos xp
I helped a friends son get knoppix working yesterday afternoon. In the BIOS, I had to turn off "power management" to get knoppix 3.1 working.
Before I touched tha machine, windos xp was working. After I left, my friends son was browsing the web with knoppix, and like sit. 
This morning, when he attempted to boot into windos xp, his machine freezes.
I need to head over there tomorrow, to try and see what is going on.
Any tips, ideas, suggestions, for things to look for.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
use the XP repair disk....
-
Post subject: test machine no longer boots into windos xp
Okay. I don't deal with windos, but I don know they have the real install discs, not the major computer places who give a "repair" cd.
Do you mean re-install? Or what?
Thanks.[/quote]
-
Senior Member
registered user
all you should have to do, as long as you had reset the bios, is insert the XP disk that they have. It is the install disc, and the repair disk in one. Reboot, and then select the "repair" option. In my experiance, they will not lose any files or information. If during the repair process it says "cannot find xxxxxx" look at the thing it cant find and try and figure out what it is... if it is a sound driver, insert the soundcard cd....ect...
-

Originally Posted by
god
all you should have to do, as long as you had reset the bios, is insert the XP disk that they have. It is the install disc, and the repair disk in one. Reboot, and then select the "repair" option. In my experiance, they will not lose any files or information. If during the repair process it says "cannot find xxxxxx" look at the thing it cant find and try and figure out what it is... if it is a sound driver, insert the soundcard cd....ect...
Thanks. I printed this out, and will take with me tomorrow.
-
Senior Member
registered user
no prob.... i hope it helps
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have seen posts about this happening several times in this forum. What is the deal here? Does this happen on every XP machine or are there specific conditions that cause it. Clearly one MS "feature" that is a real pain in the ass for some people.
-
Senior Member
registered user
(Rant)
--This is one reason more people are investigating Linux, or at least alternatives to MS. With every "upgrade" of the Windoze OS, MS gets more and more evil and resource-hungry. I've heard that XP eats 128Meg of RAM just after BOOTING. WTF??? Linux still works just fine on my P233MMX with 160Meg of RAM. I also use Knoppix frequently on P166 and P300 laptops with 96Meg, 128Meg and 164Meg of RAM.
--My "fast" computer (AMD Duron 900MHz, 196Meg) runs W98SE, SuSE 7.3, and Knoppix. I stick with W98 for a reason - it works fine for my needs. I only recently started getting experience with Win-ME, and already it's a PITA. MS tried to do away with DOS-mode at boot, and I have to hack around it to re-enable things. (F8 at bootup does wonders if you're in a hurry and don't want to screw around with booting from a floppy.)
--I wouldn't run W95 if you paid me anymore, 98 is worth the upgrade - I've gotten it running (and stable!) on a 486-dx3-75MHz with 16Meg of RAM, albeit with a 200Meg perm swapfile. Win-ME is still based on the 98 kernel, and I see no compelling reason to "upgrade" to it, except possibly for driver support. (ME can use my 32-bit Cardbus PCMCIA cards, 98 can't.) But that's only ONE SINGLE CASE so far. Win-ME crashes just as frequently as 98 does.
--But I digress. Pretty much the only thing I use W98 for these days is to check my Juno free email and watch DvD's, and maybe play a few games. I've even taken to rebooting into Knoppix for Web browsing (with Opera) - it's FASTER under Linux!
--IMHO, it's just a matter of time b4 the "need" for Windoze goes away. MS is clamping down on the consumer with restrictive EULAs that are mixed in with SECURITY UPDATES, for Pete's sake. They're *desperate.* And I for one will be glad to see them diminish in power - it's about time somebody handed them their ass.

Originally Posted by
aay
I have seen posts about this happening several times in this forum. What is the deal here? Does this happen on every XP machine or are there specific conditions that cause it. Clearly one MS "feature" that is a real pain in the ass for some people.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if i do not turn my computer all the way off and let it sit for a few seconds between knoppix and xp, i get a bunch of nvidia driver errors, the computer is really slow, and laggy....
-
Similar Threads
-
By MrReapa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
-
By tkatchev69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 05:56 PM
-
By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2
$30.00

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory
$199.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF
$55.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99