Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: test machine no longer boots into windos xp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    20

    test machine no longer boots into windos xp

    I helped a friends son get knoppix working yesterday afternoon. In the BIOS, I had to turn off "power management" to get knoppix 3.1 working.

    Before I touched tha machine, windos xp was working. After I left, my friends son was browsing the web with knoppix, and like sit.

    This morning, when he attempted to boot into windos xp, his machine freezes.

    I need to head over there tomorrow, to try and see what is going on.

    Any tips, ideas, suggestions, for things to look for.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    use the XP repair disk....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    20

    Post subject: test machine no longer boots into windos xp

    Okay. I don't deal with windos, but I don know they have the real install discs, not the major computer places who give a "repair" cd.

    Do you mean re-install? Or what?

    Thanks.[/quote]

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    all you should have to do, as long as you had reset the bios, is insert the XP disk that they have. It is the install disc, and the repair disk in one. Reboot, and then select the "repair" option. In my experiance, they will not lose any files or information. If during the repair process it says "cannot find xxxxxx" look at the thing it cant find and try and figure out what it is... if it is a sound driver, insert the soundcard cd....ect...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by god
    all you should have to do, as long as you had reset the bios, is insert the XP disk that they have. It is the install disc, and the repair disk in one. Reboot, and then select the "repair" option. In my experiance, they will not lose any files or information. If during the repair process it says "cannot find xxxxxx" look at the thing it cant find and try and figure out what it is... if it is a sound driver, insert the soundcard cd....ect...
    Thanks. I printed this out, and will take with me tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    no prob.... i hope it helps

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have seen posts about this happening several times in this forum. What is the deal here? Does this happen on every XP machine or are there specific conditions that cause it. Clearly one MS "feature" that is a real pain in the ass for some people.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    (Rant)

    --This is one reason more people are investigating Linux, or at least alternatives to MS. With every "upgrade" of the Windoze OS, MS gets more and more evil and resource-hungry. I've heard that XP eats 128Meg of RAM just after BOOTING. WTF??? Linux still works just fine on my P233MMX with 160Meg of RAM. I also use Knoppix frequently on P166 and P300 laptops with 96Meg, 128Meg and 164Meg of RAM.

    --My "fast" computer (AMD Duron 900MHz, 196Meg) runs W98SE, SuSE 7.3, and Knoppix. I stick with W98 for a reason - it works fine for my needs. I only recently started getting experience with Win-ME, and already it's a PITA. MS tried to do away with DOS-mode at boot, and I have to hack around it to re-enable things. (F8 at bootup does wonders if you're in a hurry and don't want to screw around with booting from a floppy.)

    --I wouldn't run W95 if you paid me anymore, 98 is worth the upgrade - I've gotten it running (and stable!) on a 486-dx3-75MHz with 16Meg of RAM, albeit with a 200Meg perm swapfile. Win-ME is still based on the 98 kernel, and I see no compelling reason to "upgrade" to it, except possibly for driver support. (ME can use my 32-bit Cardbus PCMCIA cards, 98 can't.) But that's only ONE SINGLE CASE so far. Win-ME crashes just as frequently as 98 does.

    --But I digress. Pretty much the only thing I use W98 for these days is to check my Juno free email and watch DvD's, and maybe play a few games. I've even taken to rebooting into Knoppix for Web browsing (with Opera) - it's FASTER under Linux!

    --IMHO, it's just a matter of time b4 the "need" for Windoze goes away. MS is clamping down on the consumer with restrictive EULAs that are mixed in with SECURITY UPDATES, for Pete's sake. They're *desperate.* And I for one will be glad to see them diminish in power - it's about time somebody handed them their ass.


    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I have seen posts about this happening several times in this forum. What is the deal here? Does this happen on every XP machine or are there specific conditions that cause it. Clearly one MS "feature" that is a real pain in the ass for some people.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    if i do not turn my computer all the way off and let it sit for a few seconds between knoppix and xp, i get a bunch of nvidia driver errors, the computer is really slow, and laggy....

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    problem booting back to windows as well!

    I tried KNOPPIX on a win2k laptop and a winnt/win2k desktop. Now with my desktop, I cannot boot winnt or win2k back. It said "Operating System not found". I boot win2k back up just fine on my laptop.

    Sound like I am not the only one with the problem. What's up with that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. windows XP SP2 no longer boots after using knoppix 3.6
    By MrReapa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
  2. I can no longer boot to windows...
    By tkatchev69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 05:56 PM
  3. Problem - boots, boots.....and so
    By j0x in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95