Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Partitioning within knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10

    Partitioning within knoppix

    Hi I'm a total fool. I tried to install knoppix to HDD following all the instructions when I realised I hadn't created a partition for a swap file. Is there anyway I can create a partition within knoppix itself as I may of accidentally on purpose deleted my windows install on it?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    90
    I didn't understand your questions very well. Well, you want to know if you can ceate/modify partitions with knoppix (installe or livecd). Yes, you can. You only need the partitioning program. I don't know where to find the partitioning program, but I use this workaround:

    I open a terminal console. There I attemp to launch the hdd installer (sudo knoppix-installer). One of the first steps in this process is to partition the disk, so this script launchs the partitioning program. If you use this program carefully you will be able to create your swap partition. Be very carefull with this program because you could erase information in your hdd

    After you partitioned your hdd you can cancel the installation.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    yeh thats what I did, but I then realised the swap file wouldn't be big enough as I'd already set it when using knoppix from cd earlier so I was worried it might not have enough swap file space to run at maximum efficency
    ----
    Ah, never mind I just saw the answer to my question in the HDD forum

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Knoppix has a partitioning program on it (several in fact). If you want to partition your hard drive without destroying the data on an existing partition, then you need to first non destructively resize that partition. You can do this with qtparted. Qtparted will essentially do what Norton's Partition Magic does, but for free. So first resize your partion using Qtparted and then run the installer and install Knoppix on the free space you alocated with Qtparted. If you don't care about preserving the data and simply want to partition from scratch, then you can use the command line utility, cfdisk. If you resize with Qtparted, make sure to defragment the windows partition first. This should work out fine, but as always in such circumstances BACK UP YOUR CRITICAL DATA FIRST!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning for Knoppix only
    By Free in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:09 AM
  2. Knoppix HD Install Error While Partitioning
    By mentalalien2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 02:03 PM
  3. Partitioning with knoppix-installer...
    By pandamonium54 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:40 AM
  4. HDD knoppix without partitioning
    By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
  5. Knoppix/Debian Newbie - Partitioning Advice
    By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75