-
Junior Member
registered user
Partitioning within knoppix
Hi I'm a total fool. I tried to install knoppix to HDD following all the instructions when I realised I hadn't created a partition for a swap file. Is there anyway I can create a partition within knoppix itself as I may of accidentally on purpose deleted my windows install on it?
Thanks
-
I didn't understand your questions very well. Well, you want to know if you can ceate/modify partitions with knoppix (installe or livecd). Yes, you can. You only need the partitioning program. I don't know where to find the partitioning program, but I use this workaround:
I open a terminal console. There I attemp to launch the hdd installer (sudo knoppix-installer). One of the first steps in this process is to partition the disk, so this script launchs the partitioning program. If you use this program carefully you will be able to create your swap partition. Be very carefull with this program because you could erase information in your hdd
After you partitioned your hdd you can cancel the installation.
-
Junior Member
registered user
yeh thats what I did, but I then realised the swap file wouldn't be big enough as I'd already set it when using knoppix from cd earlier so I was worried it might not have enough swap file space to run at maximum efficency
----
Ah, never mind I just saw the answer to my question in the HDD forum
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix has a partitioning program on it (several in fact). If you want to partition your hard drive without destroying the data on an existing partition, then you need to first non destructively resize that partition. You can do this with qtparted. Qtparted will essentially do what Norton's Partition Magic does, but for free. So first resize your partion using Qtparted and then run the installer and install Knoppix on the free space you alocated with Qtparted. If you don't care about preserving the data and simply want to partition from scratch, then you can use the command line utility, cfdisk. If you resize with Qtparted, make sure to defragment the windows partition first. This should work out fine, but as always in such circumstances BACK UP YOUR CRITICAL DATA FIRST!!!
Similar Threads
-
By Free in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:09 AM
-
By mentalalien2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By pandamonium54 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:40 AM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
-
By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - Yoga 7a 2-in-1 16" 2K LCD Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen AI 7 445 20...
$849.99

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD
$235.00

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"
$200.00

Lenovo ThinkPad P53 Laptop Intel Core i7 9850H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P T1000
$279.99