Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kernel 2.6.1 good... but no scroll wheel

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Kernel 2.6.1 good... but no scroll wheel

    Ok, I have Knoppix running the 2.6.1 version of the kernel. I've got it so it runs everything I was able to get 2.4.22 to run, except for my PS/2 scroll wheel. I've tried using XF86Config to change the protocol (and I've tried all of the PS/2 options), however that didn't help any... the middle button clicks just fine, and it works fine overall, It just won't scroll.

    I love the fixes and the speedyness of 2.6.1 but if I can't get my scroll wheel back, I have to go back to the old kernel.

    Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

    btw - my mouse is a Memorex PS/2 Optical scroll mouse

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I had the same problem with the 2.6.0 kernel, and it seems to be common, which means the first place to check is google/linux.

  3. #3
    Indeed, and I have searched... to absolutely no avail... most responses are about logitech and cordless mice...

    However, here's the good part (at least for me) ... I turned off my computer, and went to bed. This morning - after making absolutely no changes - my scrollwheel works fine...

    I guess all's well that ends well... I just wish I knew why it's working now...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by JMarsh
    Indeed, and I have searched... to absolutely no avail... most responses are about logitech and cordless mice...

    However, here's the good part (at least for me) ... I turned off my computer, and went to bed. This morning - after making absolutely no changes - my scrollwheel works fine...

    I guess all's well that ends well... I just wish I knew why it's working now...
    wow, very "microsoft-like" behaviour...

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    Wheelmouse option

    Did you try the knoppix wheelmouse option? The kernel has to pick the mouse type at boot time because the protocol is slightly different for wheelmice....you may not be able to change it after your in X???

    Not an authority, but I remember that little from another post about wheelmice here

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by JMarsh
    Indeed, and I have searched... to absolutely no avail... most responses are about logitech and cordless mice...

    However, here's the good part (at least for me) ... I turned off my computer, and went to bed. This morning - after making absolutely no changes - my scrollwheel works fine...

    I guess all's well that ends well... I just wish I knew why it's working now...
    May I know what filesystem are you running 2.6.1 onto please ?

    Tx. Bob

Similar Threads

  1. textmode (i.e. the startup scroll and /dev/tty1) out of sync
    By ocschwar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
  2. No scroll wheel with kernel 2.6.6
    By eon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM
  3. Mouse wheel not working
    By [email protected] in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 04:35 AM
  4. Wheel mouse
    By my2cents in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2003, 03:30 AM
  5. Scrolling wheel does not work
    By Smitty in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00