Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: False hopes for Lexmark printing?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    False hopes for Lexmark printing?

    I was prematurely pleased that, when I checked the USB device locator utility on the main menu, my Lexmark X83 All-in-one (printer, copier, scanner) was *explicitly* detected, but I've always assumed that this model was a paperweight, as far as Linux is concerned.
    I haven't yet succeeded in getting anything to actually *print,* but have made only the most casual attempts.
    Is there any hope, or is the USB detection just teasing me?
    TIA,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    Check out your printer at linuxprinting.org. They ought to be able to tell you if it PRINTS, but the rest of the functions you may be on your own. Check the manufacturer's website and write to them that they should have linux drivers available.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: False hopes for Lexmark printing?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmw1231
    I was prematurely pleased that, when I checked the USB device locator utility on the main menu, my Lexmark X83 All-in-one (printer, copier, scanner) was *explicitly* detected, but I've always assumed that this model was a paperweight, as far as Linux is concerned.
    I haven't yet succeeded in getting anything to actually *print,* but have made only the most casual attempts.
    Is there any hope, or is the USB detection just teasing me?
    TIA,
    Mark
    My experience is that you are up the creek when it comes to getting Lexmark printers to work under Linux. Thier support for Linux sucks - which is to say it's pretty much non existant. In any event, check as was mentioned at http://www.linuxprinting.org and see if any clever hackers have found a way to get it to work. I wouldn't get your hopes too high though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    The other day I managed to get my Lexmark Z53 to work okay.

    I think that what I did in the end was to remove the cups that came with Knoppix and reinstall from the Debian site. However I had already done lots of other stuff the details of which I can't quite remember that may or may not have had something to do with it.

    I notice that there is a X73 in the list of printer drivers in cups. If all you want to do is basic printing then this might be a close enough match.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    I was able to use the Lexmark X83 via Samba

    line for SMB device URI should be: "smb://windowsusernameassword@workgroup/workstation/printersharename"

    I also used the LEXMARK Z42, CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.5

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    I don't have a network, just a standalone desktop. The idea of the X73 providing basic printing is *somewhat* promising, but OMG, to look at all the crap I'd have to go through. Oooof. I'll just keep saving the few print jobs I'd ever need onto the mounted /win partition, reboot for that, and continue on my merry way.
    It's more about the learning how than the actual need to accompish. That's how I'm getting into bash scripting, digitizing my LP's onto MP3s on CD, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. lexmark z42 and knoppix 3.4
    By jkarpago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
  2. Lexmark x125 Printer Driver
    By tgieddie84 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 05:07 PM
  3. lexmark printer
    By pfmrof in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 02:53 AM
  4. Lexmark Z12 & PPD driver from Linuxprinting.org
    By rec9140 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 05:41 PM
  5. Adding Lexmark USB Printer In Knoppix Ver 3.1
    By Butch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 02:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00